Old 03-01-2009, 05:45 PM
Master Builder

Default Re: Whole grain crust texture

I am sorry I cam into this one so late...Annie I have to say you are right on...at least in my opinion...I remember once making bread with garlic and basil...usually with fresh garlic but once didn't have any fresh but had some dried minced garlic...added it to the dough with out hydrating it and man what a hard crust...so I really agree...many of the european whole grain breads like bavarian pumpernickel, roggebrood, etc...all use soakers or actually boiled grains...helps them to stay moist...some of them also use molasses which tends to make a softer and moister bread...I remember something about taking advantage of the hygroscopic characteristic of sucrose...
All the best!
Dutch