Old 02-25-2008, 09:52 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: WFO Pretzels

I use one on Cooks.com that calls for a 2 TBS baking soda/some forgotten amount of water, wash the formed pretzels, drain, then bake. It says that the soda needs to be completely dissolved in the H2O or it will cause splotches on the pretzels. I've never once been able to dissolve the soda in the water. The Pretzels are pretty awesome, coated with multiple layers of melted butter. That's the key. Anybody had a Pretzel Maker pretzel? KILLER!

-
Old 02-25-2008, 10:23 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Note that the first post recipe did not boil the pretzels.

Gotta try that recipe! looks great.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Tiempo para guzarlos.....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
...enjoy every sandwich!
Old 02-26-2008, 05:10 AM
Laborer

Stuart,
Did you use the recipe out of the book CRUST? I just bought the book about 2-3 weeks ago and haven't used it yet. I did try and watch the DVD that came with it, but I fell asleep and still can't remember any of it - GRIN.
Chuck
Old 02-26-2008, 08:31 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjbingham View Post
I've never once been able to dissolve the soda in the water.
George,

Did you heat up the water to a boil? The hot water will dissolve the baking soda with no problem. I have made several batches of pretzels with very good results. After forming the pretzels, dip them into the boiling solution until they float, then pop them into the oven.

I've been wanting to make some authentic Philly-style pretzels for years, but I didn't know the "secret" to getting the perfect dark brown skin. Now that I know it's a lye solution, I'm not so interested in trying them

Fortunately, a local bagel place in town has started making authentic Philly pretzels so I can get my occasional fix.

Updated!

Old 02-26-2008, 09:39 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thanks Ken for the suggestion. Do you know how much soda and water the recipe calls for? I'll try it your way next time.

The recipe I used was a cup (or possibly a half cup) of boiling water to 2 TBS soda. I never got it all disolved. The wash is applied with a brush on the pretzels.

-
Old 02-26-2008, 10:12 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

George,

Here's the recipe I use. This is a scan of a Xerox of a Xerox... Source unknown. It's been in my recipe file for at least 20 yrs. Let me know if you need a higher resolution scan.

The very last line of the recipe is the key to maximum enjoyment
Attached Thumbnails
WFO Pretzels-pretzels.jpg  

Updated!

Old 02-26-2008, 09:09 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thanks Ken,
1 tsp is a lot less than 2 TBS.

-
Old 02-26-2008, 10:23 PM
Peasant

I especially love that last line. You're right, Ken, it makes the whole recipe.

BTW, GJ, I use about two T to a gallon of water. I can't imagine that you'd ever be able to dissolve 2 T in a cup of water, even in a pressure cooker.
Old 02-27-2008, 07:52 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thanks John,
After the third try, I knew the recipe was wrong. Probably just a typo. The pretzels are still good though. I have a pretty decent background in chemistry. Heat and pressure increase the ability to dissolve compounds in a solution. You can't get H2O hotter than 212 degrees without pressure or salt, etc. There was no way that 2 TBS was going to dissolve in the half or so cup of water. Funny, now that I look back at my trying over and over again to make it happen.

-
Old 03-18-2008, 08:41 AM
Apprentice

Chuckster,

You are correct, the recipe came from Crust.