Old 12-16-2007, 11:04 PM
Laborer

Default Re: Versachi's bread adventure's

Baked a little more yesterday. Made some Ciabatta with a recipe from the book "Crust" by Richard Bertinet which I really liked. Also made the chive and cheddar bread from the Bread Bakers Apprentice and a type of beer bread from "Crust". I would cook more pizzas but my oven is a ways back in the yard and with it being winter its too cold to run back and forth with pizza. I'll stick to baking some bread till it warms up.

I tried my hand at a basic sourdough but since I haven't aquired the taste for that type of bread I had hoped that I could make something that I liked. No such luck. The bread turned out ok but I just can't get myself to eat it. Sweet tooth I guess.

Cheers, John
Old 12-17-2007, 04:44 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

John,

If your taste does not run to sourdough or levain breads, but you do have Reinhart's Bread Baker's Apprentice, try the Cinnamon, Raisin, Walnut Bread on page 147. It just might fill up that sweet tooth. Be sure to soak the raisins in water overnight. This is an enriched bread, so the crust will get very dark in a WFO if you don't tent it with foil for the last few minutes of the bake.

I'd try to find two or three bread formulas you really like, then stick with them until you can make them consistently well. After that stage, it's easier to branch out.

Don't know what happened in TB, but we got absolutely walloped by yesterday's snow storm. It's still dark this morning, so I can't really see how deep it is, but probably about 25 cms. Shovelling snow is not one of my favs.

Jim
Old 12-17-2007, 04:49 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

John,

If your taste does not run to sourdough or levain breads, but you do have Reinhart's Bread Baker's Apprentice, try the Cinnamon, Raisin, Walnut Bread on page 147. It just might fill up that sweet tooth. Be sure to soak the raisins in water overnight. This is an enriched bread, so the crust will get very dark in a WFO if you don't tent it with foil for the last few minutes of the bake.

I'd try to find two or three bread formulas you really like, then stick with them until you can make them consistently well. After that stage, it's easier to branch out.

Don't know what happened in TB, but we got absolutely walloped by yesterday's snow storm. It's still dark this morning, so I can't really see how deep it is, but probably about 25 cms. Shovelling snow is not one of my favs.

Jim
Old 12-17-2007, 12:42 PM
Laborer

Hi Jim, I am going to try and stick to a couple of breads that I like and try and make them the way I like consistently, then as you say "branch out". I am still learning how my oven works and it will probably be that way for awhile. I will take a look at that walnut recipe you mentioned, sounds just right for me!

Fortunately will missed that storm but a couple of weeks ago we had something similar. Nothing nice about shoveling snow. Looks nice in pictures but it ends there imo.

I think Ottawa got it the worst. Sarah H any reports?

Cheers, John