Old 01-30-2009, 03:13 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Two new breads

I knew you'd finally begin to understand, Frances.

As Mark Twain said: "Golf is a good walk spoiled" (or something to that effect).

...or more in line with my game: Did you know that Golf spelled backwards is flog??

Sorry Elizabeth, digress..... Let's get back on the topic of two breads again.

-
Old 01-31-2009, 06:59 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

No problem, George. I actually like golf. I stink, but it's fun. My father-in-law once said admiringly to me "you learn to hit it straight and it'll go a mile!". I've never learned to hit it straight, but then I've other things I like more, so I don't play that often.

The hazelnut and fig bread is amazing with cream cheese too. I don't even toast it. I bet it would be even better with a bit of mild goat cheese!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-31-2009, 01:13 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I'd throw that under a broiler and let it melt/and carmelize the cheese a bit. Sounds yummy!

-
Old 01-31-2009, 03:18 PM
Master Builder

Elizabeth
Are they figs from a tree you have? We were able to harvest some figs earlier this year and we also picked a lot of pecans...70+ pounds of unshelled pecans...
Nothing like really fresh stuff...that bread does sound very good
Best
Dutch
Old 01-31-2009, 06:14 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

They were dried figs. I have a tiny fig tree in a pot, but I've only gotten one fig. It's a bit cold for them to be reliable here. I suppose I could baby it like I do my rosemary bush, but I think it'll be hard to do when the fig gets bigger. Right now I just bring it indoors when the temperature finally goes below 25.

I have pounds and pounds of pecans from my mom's trees in the freezer. What kind of bread do you make with pecans? At the rate I'm going, I'll never use them all...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-31-2009, 10:21 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Funny about the Fig tree. We had a fig tree in my yard in Tacoma, WA when I was a kid. It always ripened the fruit. Virginia is much warmer than the NW. I think your tree may just need a few years. Ours looked like it was 40 years old or more.

The fruit was great for throwing at people. It splatted on your adversaries back like bird excrement from 3000 feet! Awesome!
G.

-
Old 02-01-2009, 01:40 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Um, I'm in the mountains of Virginia and we're in zone 6a- brown figs, I think, aren't reliably hardy below 15 degrees. We've had a couple mornings below zero this month. I have to baby my rosemary bush too or it dies completely. Amazing what a heavy blanket will do.

It may be that it might just die down to the ground and come back (in which case it would be more of a bush, I guess). I have seen several bushes around which are probably figs, judging from the distinctive leaf shape, but I haven't seen figs on them.

Maybe I'll check with the Va Tech horticultural people and see if it's safe to plant it in the ground.

Old 02-01-2009, 09:42 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Western Washington only gets temps in the teens a few times in a decade. Perhaps thats the difference.

-