Old 02-22-2012, 05:58 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: A try at Genzano

Your comment on pain levain makes me laugh! I made the same loaves, well as close as I reasonably could for about five years. I actually baked almost every week for two years on the same bread - my rustic boules.That got me really aligned on that bread and it is still almost automatic to make straight SD boules. They turn out reliably like I expect them to and if they don't I usually know why before I bake them. I love that bread so much that it took me forever to get very serious about making other breads. Now i do about a dozen with some regularity. Change feels good every once in a while.

Bake on!
Jay
Old 10-23-2013, 12:15 PM
Serf

Hello Everyone,
I've been baking the Genzano for 4 years now, in my normal oven with a hearth kit stone inside, but I've been toying with the idea to baking it in a wood burning oven (at a local restaurant). Could you please share with me how you bake in yours? What temperature do you heat it up to and how you handle the steam/ice issue, do you still place it on parchment and slide it in or would that catch fire? Does the temperature go down as you bake or do you keep adding wood to keep it constant? I thank you all in advance for your advise, I'm really anxious to try the wood burning oven before I build my own!
Angela
Morristown NJ
Old 10-24-2013, 07:09 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

The hearth temp at loading should be somewhere between 470F up to as much as 525F, and the variable relates to how thick the hearth is and so how much heat is available and how quick the temperature will rebound after loading the bread. At these temps the parchment will hold up and you should be baking in an oven without a live fire. Steam during baking is going to be a bit of trial and error and you have a few options. The bake will go better with a full deck of bread and filling the oven with steam before closing the oven door. This assumes that the oven has a door that you can close and that will seal the steam in reasonably well. You'll need to experiment with some source of ongoing steaming if you feel it's needed. If you're not going to fill the oven with bread, try covering the baking breads with a stainless steel bowl that you remove after 20 minutes.

Regarding, building your own oven, you are in the right place. I also have a recommendation for a book for you.

"From the Wood-Fired Oven: New and Traditional Techniques for Cooking and Baking with Fire", by Richard Miscovich (Author) , Daniel Wing (Foreword)

Chris