Old 05-08-2014, 05:14 AM
Master Builder

Default Re: Steam in the oven

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecutter View Post
you need to post pics of the bread you bake using this method....seriously.
A coolish oven (about 220C) a garden sprayer and 800g of standard pizza dough. If there is such a thing as "standard pizza dough"
500g flour, 300g water, 2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp yeast, 24 hour ferment in fridge.
The peel is 12 inches across.
I'm reasonably happy with it, since its 60% pizza dough rather than dedicated bread dough. The whole point is to show that the oven spring is very satisfactory with a little steam. Texture is OK, considering it's 11% protein Coles Supermarkets home brand flour.
I lit the oven when I got home from work, burned it with only a moderate fire for an hour then let it die right back and cleaned out the coals. I really only injected just enough heat to bake two trays of OOK OOK, then the two bread sticks.
Attached Thumbnails
Steam in the oven-2014-05-08-20.19.37.jpg   Steam in the oven-2014-05-08-20.12.19.jpg   Steam in the oven-2014-05-08-20.02.26.jpg  

Last edited by wotavidone; 05-08-2014 at 05:34 AM.
Old 05-08-2014, 05:45 AM
Master Builder

BTW, I took more note of the stream from my sprayer. Really it's not quite a mist. More like halfway between a mist and a stream. I found a mist fanned out too far, so I adjusted for a slightly heavier spray. I haven't heard any bricks go crack! yet. You can hear the oven "roar" as the water goes in and evaporates rapidly.
Old 05-08-2014, 06:17 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I like the looks of it...and I bet it tasted great.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Current WFO build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 05-08-2014, 03:09 PM
Master Builder

I must get around to sharpening my knives, so I can put a decent cut down the middle just before I put them in the oven.
On that score, I used to think I was good at sharpening knives, but I have a workmate who is a qualified butcher and I was very impressed with his knives the other day when we were filleting fish. I may have to swallow my pride and get some pointers from him.
The goal now is to make a proper banh mi vietnamese style baguette. It's gonna be a struggle, but one of my mates is on good terms with the Vietnamese guys who do the baking at the French Hot Bread shop, and he is in Rotary with the owner of the Baker's Delight, so here's hoping we can get ourselves educated.
I reckon we have the baking technique sorted, but we need to wise up on the dough recipe and the prep/shaping technique.
I was speaking to Dino the Italian the other night, getting his approval for my OOK OOK recipe. He "signed-off" my basic technique, but the added a few pointers. After he rang his wife to check exactly how it's done, of course. All the Molfettese guys have to ring the missus - they are doing a good job of destroying the myth that all good bakers in Italy are men.
He says the dimples in the top are made with the knuckles not the fingertips, and instead of sea salt, he uses little bits of anchovy for the salt flavouring. Otherwise, exactly as I do it, he said, except he's lazy and buys his dough from the French Hot Bread shop.
Back in the 50's when he took his mortadella and mozzarella on ook ook sandwich to school, it was "What's that wog tucker you got there, Dino?". Now it's "How do you make that?" At least some things in life have changed for the better.

Last edited by wotavidone; 05-08-2014 at 03:35 PM.
Old 05-08-2014, 03:27 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Use a razor blade....pretty common practice for slashing loaves.

Current WFO build -

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 05-10-2014, 03:11 AM
Master Builder

Had a go at some cob loaves since the missus wants to do a spinach onion and cheese dip in the hollowed out loaves. I put three slashes in them, but perhaps I should have cross hatched them.
I'll find out tomorrow whether she reckons she can hollow them out and fill them with the dip.
Attached Thumbnails
Steam in the oven-10052014450.jpg  

Last edited by wotavidone; 05-10-2014 at 03:27 AM.
Old 05-18-2014, 08:59 AM
Apprentice

We use a water spray (get from garden centers), clear all the ash and then spray onto the dome, we have had some good results with this method.