Old 04-25-2008, 05:19 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Starter and bread formulas/methods

Not free....gas, time, installation....that comes to ? Great find

Acoma's Tuscan:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-25-2008, 05:25 PM
Apprentice

I'll be sure to check out the Hamelman book. I'm a geek both by trade and in my free time, so it sounds like it's right up my alley.

Good score on the fridge. In my beer-making days (haven't done it in years but I'd like to get back to it), I always thought it would be a good idea to get a kegerator sized fridge and monkey around with the temperature controls so I could maintain it at 55F for lagers. Maybe something like that would be good for sourdough starters, or, say, a desem.
Old 04-25-2008, 06:02 PM
Master Builder

Desem...hadn't heard mention of that in a long time...I guess I'll have to get the book too...been considering it but...have so many already I just thought my brain would get too muddled with too many points of view...Oh what the heck
Dutch
Old 04-25-2008, 06:48 PM
Apprentice

My mind is pretty muddled already. I haven't tried a desem yet, mostly because it's a bit of an undertaking to get it started. I'm not sure I can handle the responsibility.

It sounds like wonderful bread, though... and I'd love to have a really good whole wheat bread to go along with the more traditional bread I try to imitate.
Old 05-02-2008, 12:12 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Ed_... (or anybody else for that matter), you know how in the breadbuilders book he says you should only leave your starter out for an hour if its going to sit in the fridge for a week before being used again?

I put mine in the fridge right away last time because it was late already, and intended to take it out for an hour the next day to let it bubble up a bit... but when I looked at it next morning it looked all bubbly already, so I left it where it was...

Did this ever happen to you? I thought the starter was supposed to remain inactive in the fridge. Or is our fridge maybe too warm?
Old 05-02-2008, 11:38 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Mine does that Frances. I'm still not happy with my final dough though. My starter seems to ferment fine when I feed it. When I add flour and water etc for the final bread dough, the rise time to doubling is forever! Six hours? Seems crazy. It's a young culture (2 weeks) so the sourness is not really that noticeable either - it was nice on the first bake then dissappeard. I'm starting to think I'm wasting my time on this.

Anyone have suggestions?

-
Old 05-03-2008, 03:23 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Ah George, hang in there! Rome wasn't built in a day!

Mine takes that long to rise, too, and it never doubles before baking. In the oven it springs up like crazy though and tastes great. So I just let it rise six hours... or seven, or eight... who's counting?

Can't help with the sourness though - I'm trying to keep mine as non-sour as possible. Whole grain flour and leave next weeks starter out of the fridge for longer I think... but erm, don't listen to me whatever you do...
Old 05-03-2008, 11:10 AM
Master Builder

George
Most wild yeasted doughs won't really double on the bulk fermentation and you really don't want a 100% proof on the final loaves...in my opinion anyway...you should get about 80% in the doubling and pop them in the nice hot oven at about 80% proof...I think you will be pleased with the oven spring. Are you making sure to discard half of the starter on feeding...alcohol in the starter may be affecting yeast activity. The starter will change as it matures and the final flavor it produces will not really be known for a couple of months probably.

Frances
The starter activity in the fridge is not unusual...the yeasts just slow down as you decrease the temperature until around 40F the kind of lay dormant. I may be incorrect on the exact number but for every 17F below 72F you effectively double proof time and inveresely for evey 17F above you cut the time in half soooo....at 38F a bread that would normally proof in 2 hours would take 8...but how long it takes to get to the final temp has an affect also.

Hope this helps!
Dutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjbingham View Post
Mine does that Frances. I'm still not happy with my final dough though. My starter seems to ferment fine when I feed it. When I add flour and water etc for the final bread dough, the rise time to doubling is forever! Six hours? Seems crazy. It's a young culture (2 weeks) so the sourness is not really that noticeable either - it was nice on the first bake then dissappeard. I'm starting to think I'm wasting my time on this.

Anyone have suggestions?
Old 05-12-2008, 10:24 AM
Serf

Too much spring?? Is there a way to regulate oven spring? Yesterday I made Ciabatta (Reinhart recipe from "Crust and Crumb"). Casa 90 was about 550 degrees on the hearth, I steamed it for 10 seconds or so. Two loaves sprung so much that one literally ripped the crumb apart so there is a hole running down the middle of the loaf. Taste was good, crumb looked okay, although a little dense. Sorry no pictures we ate it too fast. What determines the amount of oven spring?
Old 05-12-2008, 11:26 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

No answer there fredjana. No harm in scoring the loaves to stop the bread from ripping apart though.

Hey Dutch - what's is the answer on the oven spring? Also, do you know what the effect of over-proofing dough prior to baking has on the final outcome of the bread?

-