Old 02-24-2011, 09:10 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: spent grain bread

I made a double batch, Soaker and Biga, with King Arthur White Whole Wheat flour and let them sit 24 hours. The temp of the Biga and Spent Grain out of the fridge were 40F, the room temp was 70F and the Soaker and Agave syrup are 70F as well. I gave the cold ingredients 1.5 hours to come up closer to room temps before kneading together all of the ingredients. After combining and kneading, the mass was divided in two 954G loafs. These were placed in bowls and given 45 minutes before final shaping and dropping these into parchment lined loaf pans. These were covered with plastic and given an hour to rise and then these pans were placed into a 425F oven 1 cup of boiling water was placed into a cast iron fry pan for steam and the oven temp was reduced to 350F. The pans were turned at 20 minutes. One loaf was checked at 40 minutes, 50 min and both loafs were pulled at 55 minutes at 203F. I'll post a crumb shot and taste critique tomorrow..

Chris
Attached Thumbnails
spent grain bread-sg_v.2.jpg  
Old 02-25-2011, 09:12 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

The crumb compares most closely to a quick banana bread recipe. In the photo you can also see side of the bread knife and the dough along the edge.

The flavor is good and with toasting and a bit of jam and butter, tasty. I think orange marmalade with a bit of bitter and acid will complement this loaf. I wonder if honey or molasses would work as a sweetener?

Chris
Attached Thumbnails
spent grain bread-sg_v.2_crumb.jpg  
Old 02-25-2011, 11:20 AM
Serf

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCChris View Post
......I wonder if honey or molasses would work as a sweetener?

Chris
Chris,

You might want to try some of the sweet wort (the wort as it is drained off the mash before the addition of hops) if you can get some. It is very sweet and would probably add some interesting flavors.

Cheers,

Dwight
Old 02-25-2011, 11:42 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Chris,

FWIW, there is a huge malting company in Los Angeles (Great Western?) who sells, I would guess, to Anheuser Busch in the valley and other local breweries. I have talked to them in the past and they are willing to sell to the casual homebrewer as long as he buys a couple of trash can-sized loads. That would be me. Once the outdoor kitchen is completed and I can resume my brewing endeavors it would be easy to share some of this with you for your SG bread.

John
Old 02-25-2011, 12:44 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thanks John, for the offer of SG when you're brewing again. Dwight, I wonder about adding wort rather than water as well. I also wonder about adding malt to the whole mix but I'd have to think about how much malt equals how much Honey or Agave syrup.

Chris
Old 02-25-2011, 05:56 PM
Serf

Chris,

I have used DME(dry malt extract) in some of my breads in place of sugar or honey. I usually just add a tablespoon or 2 or close to the same as the sweetener I'm replacing. I like the results. It adds a bit more complex flavor. Give it a try! It's certainly not going to make it inedible and I think you'll like it.

Cheers,

Dwight
Old 04-05-2011, 09:37 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I made another double batch of SG using honey this time and the result was better, although I'm still looking for more flavor complexity. Iíll try to locate dry malt extract and see where this takes things. I added a few shelled raw sunflower seeds to the top, a last moment addition and enjoyed the result. Iíll add some to the dough and see where it goes as well. I also wonder about adding tahini into the dough, similar to a vegetable oil addition, and then cover the top with sesame seeds before the bake. Anyway Iím looking for a bit different flavor profile with this bread.

Chris

Last edited by SCChris; 04-05-2011 at 09:50 AM.
Old 04-05-2011, 11:57 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

These guys are selling 1lb bags of British DME for $3.99:

Dry Malt Extract- Wheat 1 LB | Home Brewing Supplies from Monster Brew
Old 04-05-2011, 12:20 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thanks Dwight and John. John I found that OShea's has DME and they're on my way home. John, have you ever dropped into BrewBakers in Huntington Beach? I understand that the cater to the brewer/baker group.

C
Old 04-05-2011, 03:37 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Chris,

No, I haven't. It's been a few years since I last brewed and at that time I bought all my supplies from an outfit called Brewers Resource. They had everything imaginable in huge quantities and really good prices, but alas, they disappeared. Thanks for the lead though. I will have to pay them a visit just because.

John