Old 06-30-2008, 03:13 PM
Journeyman

Default Re: Sourdough starter on holiday...

During college my daughter studed aboard for one semester at Strausburg. When she was done we picked her up and toured France, the Vernon and Normandy areas. We did go down to Carnac (in Brittany) to see the megaliths. It was early June, before their tourest season and stayed at a great place with a tremendous restaurant - food almost as good as if it came from a WFO!
Enjoy your trip.

"It's time to go Vertical"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-02-2008, 02:47 PM
Apprentice

Frances, so what happened? What did you find on return? Did it tell you off? Go sour?

I have a mutual starter sitting agreement with a friend ... works well.

:-)
W.
Old 09-03-2008, 08:10 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

It was fine, thank you for asking

... well actually I think it got a bit depressend while we were away and turned to drink

Either that or it invited its friends over for a party.

It definately smelt a bit alcoholic once we got back. Nothing that some regular meals and a bit of TLC couldn't take care of though.

I do think the experience has made us stronger and even more commited to each other.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 09-03-2008, 08:13 AM
Apprentice

I am on day two of making my sourdough starter. I LOVE baking sourdough bread during the autumn and winter months here. Hopefully I can post some pics this fall.
Old 09-03-2008, 08:39 AM
Apprentice

Frances,

I am very pleased your relationship survived this holiday.

Regarding the alcohol, I think it must have been a party and the riff-raff element gatecrashed - wrong kind of yeast happens in the best of families.

Anyway, absence makes the heart go fondue, or what is it they say in Switzerland? Sorry, had a hard day ... hope you'll forgive me. Why, oh why is it not Friday yet? I want to finish the flashing on the oven roof ... it has been raining so hard here.

W.
Old 09-03-2008, 08:55 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hey Wlodek are you bored by any chance? I never would have guessed. Its raining here, too.

Btw, did you just add that proverb, or did I just never notice it before? Mingit... hang on, hmmm... minge? Don't minge against the wind? Very sound advice that.

Old 09-03-2008, 08:57 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by krosskraft View Post
I am on day two of making my sourdough starter. I LOVE baking sourdough bread during the autumn and winter months here. Hopefully I can post some pics this fall.

Krosskraft, is it your first homemade sourdough starter, or do you make a new one each autumn? And why not in Summer or Spring? Anyway, I hope it all works out. May your yeast be strong.

Old 09-04-2008, 02:44 AM
Journeyman

Hello Frances,

after about two weeks in the fridge (in a covered glass bowl) my rye sourdough gets a thick grey-ish cover - I have usually peeled it off and thrown put, but the other day just used it as part of the starter for a couple of whole-wheat breads in the Forno del gallo: no discernible difference in fermentation or taste...

I'm fairly sure Dutchoven's got it right even with three weeks!

Re Brittany: a school friend and I set out from Paris on bicycles for a holiday trip to the Bretagne in the late 'fifties and pedalled as far as Brest, taking our time and loving every bit of the coast. When we realised we wouldn't make it back to school in time, we asked a local transport tycoon to arrange a lift back to Paris on one of his camions. The guy, Louis Le Calvez (I'll never forget his name) had no trucks going there at the time but shouted us the train fare instead!

Bonne route,

LMH

Last edited by carioca; 09-04-2008 at 02:44 AM. Reason: speling