Old 10-13-2009, 05:01 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Sourdough in Dinos WFO

Nice work Dino - they look delicious!!!

Rossco
Old 10-13-2009, 07:47 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I'm glad you like it. Read it carefully, then go with the recipe you think looks best! The recipes, once you are familiar with the way he puts them together, are all good. I really liked the fig/hazelnut/rosemary and the raisin/pecan (although it may be raisin walnut, but I have a superfluity of pecans, so I use them instead a lot). The semolina bread was good too. I find that it's good when I make a new recipe the first time, but even better the second and third times through- when you know what to expect you just have better results, even with the same ingredients.

Right now I have in my fridge the two recipes that came in a KA catalog earlier- baguette and rye from that bread in 5 minutes a day book. We'll see how good it is- I did have to fight myself from changing the recipe right away! I think you should always try it their way at least once.

I'll let you all know how they turn out in a few days. Have fun, Dino!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-13-2009, 08:46 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hey Dino!

Once a month won't be often enough to keep your sourdough starter healthy. Needs to be fed or make bread once a week... At least.

I like your pickle comment. I have been working on more "rotten" food. I made sourkraut last year from scratch. Took about two/three weeks. My wife thought she was going to die. But then declared it he most wonderful sourkraut she had ever tasted!

Keep Cookin!
Jay
Old 10-14-2009, 04:13 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

"Rotten Food" Jay? I kinda like the sound of that. I've been reading about all kinds of great things that happen nutritionally not only in pickled but fermented (rotting) foods like sourkraut and kimchi.

Also, I do feed my starter weekly but will try to bake weekly too.
I'll be baking bread this weekend but was wondering what you do for oven steam.

I always use a baking stone in my oven. I put an anodized, heavy 14" Calphalon pan on the bottom rack just under the stone. Then, after it's all heated to 500 deg, I throw in about 2 cups of boiling water on the hot Calphalon pan, slide my 2-3 loaves (that are each sitting on a rectangle of parchment paper so I can slide the whole thing onto the baking stone without deflating anything) then use a spray bottle and douse my steel oven walls and floor with a good spray before shutting the door. I repeat the spray 2-3 more times in 30 second intervals then drop my oven to 400 deg. This has made the biggest differences in my baking so far. What I don't get is what I've been reading about using ice cubes and cast iron pans. Do you use any of these methods?

Elizabeth: I've got a 3 year old KA baking book I've totally neglected but reading it last night, I found all kinds of great info and recipes. Thanks for mentioning your KA recipes.

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet

My Oven Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 04:38 PM
Apprentice

If you like the idea of "rotten food", you might be interested in this fun and informative book by Sandor Katz, who also runs the wild fermentation website (and who goes by the nickname SandorKraut, which tells you something about the tone of the book)

It's fun, well-written, informative, and easy to use. Definitely recommended for anyone interested in some home fermentation projects, that doesn't mind coloring outside the lines a bit. Kraut, pickles, kimchi, beer, sourdough, kombucha, you name it. Plus, a few good chapters on food history for perspective.

Last edited by cynon767; 10-14-2009 at 07:26 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 10-14-2009, 07:04 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I use a heavy pan and boiling water for my steam. Sometimes I spray the oven walls, but usually what I do is put more water in the pan after about 1 1/2 minutes or so.

I use a stone on the top rack and one on the bottom- I think it gives me better top crust. Well, actually I use a stone on top and 1/2 inch quarry tiles cut to fit my oven rack on the bottom. Works the same and cost a lot less!

Tomorrow I'm going to try the bread I have in the fridge- we'll see how the long retard works out for flavor. I've never had much luck with them, but people swear this works.....

Old 10-15-2009, 10:32 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thanks Jamie, I checked out Sandors book and it looks really interesting. I'll pick up a copy soon. His website looks like fun too.

Elizabeth: I think I'll also add some water to the pan after a couple of minutes. It's so dry here in Southern California it couldn't hurt. I'm going to do Reinharts Basic Sour Dough again starting tomorrow (2 day process) using a firm starter. Saturday will be baking day and I'll do it in the kitchen oven, not the wfo so I should be able to control the temps and misting better. Let me know how your refridg-retard went. -Dino

My Oven Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 02:50 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Actually, they were pretty good. The white dough rose well and had a really nice open crumb, and good flavor. The rye didn't rise as well (but it doesn't always anyway) but the flavor was quite good, even though it didn't have that sourdough tang I like. The crumb was good too. The recommended 1 pound size loaf was a little small, though, so I think I may double the amount of dough I make up and use 1 1/2 pounds at a time.

Since I've done it the way it says once now, I'm going to go ahead and tinker with them. I think the next rye will get a little sourdough in it and the white will get some whole wheat flour or maybe some seeds or something. And they'll both get more water than they have. I haven't figured up the BP, but they both could do with more hydration and still be good.

I also put another pan in the bottom of the oven and then added the second water to it- worked even better than just putting more water in the same pan.

It's always easier to control the home oven, but the wfo gives better crust for me even so... but my oven is crappy. Next house I get a different oven!

Old 10-16-2009, 04:36 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Elizabeth, how much rye was that bread vs regular flour or starter? Just curious. Everyone seems to say rye adds a nice and unique flavor to breads. Also, did you use rye flour or a coarse grind (as in pumpernickle grind rye)? I've found so many interesting recipes with rye, I'll try it soon.

My Oven Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 07:01 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I think it was 4 c regular and 3c rye. I can only get one kind of rye flour here- Hodgson's Mill, and it's a fairly coarse flour, but not dark. I'd say it's medium.

Rye adds a flavor and a texture that are unique, IMHO. It changes the way the dough feels- it tends to be stickier. And I find that it bakes up better slightly underproofed- but only slightly. The one thing I really miss in this recipe is the sourdough flavor, so I'm going to tinker with adding a little to it. Jay, any ideas about how to go about putting sourdough into a dough you put into the fridge and leave for days?