Old 09-10-2009, 06:08 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Sourdough

The "regular" doughs I like best personally are Reinharts Neopolitan (AP) and Neo-Neopolitan (bread flour) doughs. Like I said, 00 is different. Hard to directly compare but a soft Neopolitan can be pretty close in many ways. The real magic in 00 IMO is in the hand. It is awesome to touch and work with.

The key methinks is in a long retard. I usually go 24 hours. That gives the enzymes in the flour lots of time to break down starches and make sugars and for the yeast to make some interesting byproducts (yeast poop - aka alcohol). That is critical methinks for all flours and separates fair/good dough from great).

I will hazard a guess Cecilia that the lower yeast is a major contributor. I am intrigued you like a dryer dough but an indoor oven is a different animal and it may make sense. Also could be you like a crisper or stronger dough and that would favor dryer and/or bread flour. Interesting!

Thanks!
Jay
Old 09-11-2009, 05:12 AM
Apprentice

I don't necessarily like a "dryer" dough, but from all that I had "learned" before, the wetter the better, right?
Did you see one of the videos on this forum on pizza dough forming? From a place in Italy, I think? - that was no wet dough!
I like to experiment - to compare - so, after being sold on Reinhart's Neopolitan for so many years, but still not being thrilled with my pizza (although, in the beginning when I discovered his method, I thought I was finished experimenting with pizza doughs)and then trying out another type, I was amazed at the difference. Maybe I lost my love for the Reinhart method after actually being in Italy and having real pizza....even though it was only for 2 weeks. heh heh heh. I don't know.

My pizza dough has a 24 hour...or more...retard, as well.

I also believe that my pizza will really blow our minds (around here, anyway) once the oven is finished! I CAN'T WAIT!!!

Maybe it was the sprinkling of coarse salt and olive oil before putting them into the oven....
Wow. I'm hungry.
I wish I had started pizza dough yesterday!

Cecelia
Old 09-11-2009, 06:19 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Somehow I haven't been to Italy yet. High on my list, but fishing is higher. I have been to Provence and the Nice area (areas of which was Italy a hundred years ago). While we had wonderful pizza at a family winery, I don't know how it compares, so I am a bit short on direct comparison to Italy.

There is a difference in mouth feel to the 00 that is elusive to describe. As indicated previously the flavor is not as unique to me. I think wetter doughs better capture the sensation of the 00, but that could just be me.

When you have your WFO you will probably want to shift your dough to something wetter and bubblier. The WFO gives both a different flavor profile and mouth feel to the dough and I have never seen a conventional oven come very close - you just can't get hot enough. You will enjoy the oven when it is done!

One of our favorite appetizers has become effectively flatbread. Just pizza dough with a a little really good olive oil and sea salt sparsely scattered. Nothing else. With great dough it is amazing! And now I am getting hungry!
Jay
Old 09-11-2009, 06:41 AM
Apprentice

Well, mouth feel is a big thing to me, as well as flavor - All of the breads I have made from BBA have wonderful texture, but (and this could be because I'm used to Desem Bread) they seem to lack something in flavor - I never am thrilled with the flavor - it's not BAD...just lacking...

Anyway, I have always recommended BBA as well as Laurel Robertson's for Desem, and Thom Leonard, also for Desem. But then I started reading, cover to cover, English Bread and Yeast Cookery - quite accidental, mind you - but it has really helped a lot! Maybe not with the Italian bread and pizza, but definitely with any others! (oh, and not with the desem!)

Speaking of Desem...it NEEDS (heh heh heh) me!

Cecelia