Old 10-04-2013, 06:35 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Slash is VERY wide

Most of the WFO bread information that I see relates to larger volumes of bread and the load temps typically mentioned are 500 to 550F and this is most often for boules. This may seem quite high but I think you'll find that the bread benefits and you'll adjust to a shorter bake. I'd test loading at 500F and pull the cloche off at 15 minutes. This should give you a chance to check the bottom and make adjustments if needed. If you find the bottom baking too fast, put a sheet of aluminum foil underneath, and later in the bake you can flip the loaf. By removing the cloche at 15 minutes you'll sacrifice a bit of crust benefit but you have the opportunity to tune the rest of the bake. After one or two more bakes you'll have it.. Remember that the shape of the bread being baked relates to the temperature of bake as does the content of the loaf. Baguettes bake hotter than boules and chibatta bakes hotter still and conversely whole wheat flour breads bake cooler than AP or Bread flours breads. In general the smaller the bread the hotter the oven.

Chris

Last edited by SCChris; 10-05-2013 at 08:49 AM. Reason: carifying the content
Old 01-04-2014, 10:34 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I figured I'd pass along one of the most talented masters of decorative slashing that I've found. For those of you who are down under, Pip, is currently baking for Jocelyn's provisions in the Brisbane area. Pip has extensive experience with WFOs, SD levain and fresh milled grain.. Spectacular breads and photos.

http://instagram.com/pipsbread

Chris
Old 01-04-2014, 11:43 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

That's insane! Wonder what the guy can do with a paint brush?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 01-08-2014, 12:27 PM
Apprentice

A few posts/months ago in this thread you were asking about how to get the loaf off the peel cleanly. While I played around with semolina for a while, I've taken to just putting the loaves on parchment. I'll generally line loaves up on a long piece of parchment, then take a pair of scissors and cut the sheet apart so each loaf is on its own piece. Slide the loaf, parchment and all onto the peel, then slide it back off into the oven where you want it. As a bonus, I can get all my loaves out and slashed inside before going outside and opening the oven door.
Old 01-08-2014, 12:33 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

That sounds like a plan - thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 02-08-2014, 11:35 PM
Serf

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsandler View Post
A few posts/months ago in this thread you were asking about how to get the loaf off the peel cleanly. While I played around with semolina for a while, I've taken to just putting the loaves on parchment. I'll generally line loaves up on a long piece of parchment, then take a pair of scissors and cut the sheet apart so each loaf is on its own piece. Slide the loaf, parchment and all onto the peel, then slide it back off into the oven where you want it. As a bonus, I can get all my loaves out and slashed inside before going outside and opening the oven door.
Amen to that. I've been using parchment paper for all my loaves for 2+ years. Never had a problem with it and never noticed a difference. Bakers of antiquity didn't have the stuff, that's why it's not traditional. Just makes everything a whole lot easier. I usually bake ~40 loaves in an afternoon and the parchment is great.