Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Hearth Bread and Flatbread (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f11/)
-   -   SF Baking Institute (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f11/sf-baking-institute-6199.html)

james 02-26-2009 06:52 PM

SF Baking Institute

I bought a new linen lined banneton, an oval coiled banneton and a new lame with razor blades from the San Francisco Baking Institute and everything arrived promptly today. If you are looking for bread supplies, they do a good job.

Baking Supplies|Baking Baskets and Supplies|Basket|Wicker Baskets |Plastic Baskets|Linen Liners|Proofing Boards|Wood Peel

James

BrianShaw 02-27-2009 07:19 AM

Re: SF Baking Institute

I've bought from them in the past, and used their products. They are the best. A great organization to support!

DrakeRemoray 02-27-2009 10:49 AM

I have used TMB Baking , but I think they are acutally the same place...they have the same address. Reasonable prices and great equipment. I bought my SP-5 Mixer there as well as some linen and bannetons...
Drake

BrianShaw 02-27-2009 03:03 PM

They are the same.

texassourdough 02-28-2009 01:27 PM

I have used their wicker baskets for about three years and they are wonderful! They give the loaf a disctinctive look and are durable and should last years. The lame works well also - better than others I have tried. I have some linen lined baskets from them as well but I don't use them often.

They sell both round and elongated wicker baskets. I use both but personally prefer the round for most purposes. I tend to use the elongated, oval ones for breads with nuts, olives, etc.

Good folks and well worth supporting IMO.

BrianShaw 03-07-2009 10:48 AM

So, related to SFBI... I just had a birthday and asked my wife to get me the new Michel Suas book.

What an excellent resource: science, technology, technique, and recipes of bread, pastry, cake, cookies, sugarcraft, plated-dessert, and chocolate. A huge tome that I've just begun to appreciate... only because I've only just had the opportunity to flip pages rather than read. At sixty-dollars it ain't cheap, but it appear to be the equivelent of a textbook for an entire masters degree, if not PhD, in baking.

Just thought you'd be interested!

DrakeRemoray 03-07-2009 05:10 PM

I checked that out from the library. It was not particularly useful to check out from the library because there is so much info in it, I did not have time to absorb any of it!!
May have to make it part of my permanent collection.
Amazon.com: Advanced Bread and Pastry: Michel Suas: Books

BrianShaw 03-08-2009 02:02 PM

The more I look at this book, the more I realize I can now thin out my 100+ volume collection of cookbooks!

james 03-08-2009 02:15 PM

I'm falling behind. I still refer to Hamelman at least 3-4 times a week, I have only skimmed the new Reinhart whole grains book (yes, I am probably messing up a whole grain loaf with flax seeds as I write this), and now I can see that I need Suas. Help!

Plus, my birthday has passed. Maybe I can ask for it for Father's Day.

Does anyone make a good croissant at home?

James

Dutchoven 03-08-2009 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by james (Post 52014)
Does anyone make a good croissant at home?

James

We do quite well, I think! What do you need to know?
Dutch