#31  
Old 08-28-2013, 12:32 PM
david s's Avatar
Il Pizzaiolo
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Townsville, Nth Queensland,Australia
Posts: 4,759
Default Re: Scheduling your time for bread baking.

We cook eggplants a lot because they grow so well in our climate. I grow the white variety which I find superior because they are not bitter if picked before they turn yellow. I only have one plant but it is about four years old and usually always has fruit bearing year round. They neve seem to suffer from any kind of insect attack.We often roast them in the WFO to make Babaganoush, but beware that they can explode if placed into the oven if it's too hot. Better to slow roast them at around 200 C. It is such a versatile fruit, I often peel and dice a couple then cook the hell out of them in the microwave and add them to a curry base. It thickens the curry and gives it excellent flavours and texture. Sliced and covered in a 50/50 egg and olive oil then BBQ'd is also really nice or just char grilled also great. We also pickle them.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 08-30-2013, 02:30 AM
dimitrisbizakis's Avatar
Apprentice
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Greece
Posts: 132
Default Re: Scheduling your time for bread baking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by david s View Post
We cook eggplants a lot because they grow so well in our climate. I grow the white variety which I find superior because they are not bitter if picked before they turn yellow. I only have one plant but it is about four years old and usually always has fruit bearing year round. They neve seem to suffer from any kind of insect attack.We often roast them in the WFO to make Babaganoush, but beware that they can explode if placed into the oven if it's too hot. Better to slow roast them at around 200 C. It is such a versatile fruit, I often peel and dice a couple then cook the hell out of them in the microwave and add them to a curry base. It thickens the curry and gives it excellent flavours and texture. Sliced and covered in a 50/50 egg and olive oil then BBQ'd is also really nice or just char grilled also great. We also pickle them.
Nice suggestion's my friend, i will try them next time for sure!
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 08-30-2013, 05:46 PM
david s's Avatar
Il Pizzaiolo
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Townsville, Nth Queensland,Australia
Posts: 4,759
Default Re: Scheduling your time for bread baking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCChris View Post
Nice door!! My door doesn't quite seal but it does hold the heat. After I wrote the previous message I realized that I arrange the coals before placing the door, but there is a lot of live coals still glowing in the morning..

Chris
If the door does not seal then lots of heat will be lost. Italians used to seal around their doors with screwed up wet newspaper jammed around the sides and the top to seal the oven when cooking bread.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 08-30-2013, 05:56 PM
Faith In Virginia's Avatar
Master Builder
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Virginia
Posts: 720
Default Re: Scheduling your time for bread baking.

I get to bake this long weekend...:-) even though I have a part work day tomorrow. If you want I'll keep track of my times and post them for you.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 08-31-2013, 03:17 AM
dimitrisbizakis's Avatar
Apprentice
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Greece
Posts: 132
Default Re: Scheduling your time for bread baking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith In Virginia View Post
I get to bake this long weekend...:-) even though I have a part work day tomorrow. If you want I'll keep track of my times and post them for you.
That will be wonderful!!!
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 08-31-2013, 09:24 AM
Il Pizzaiolo
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: So. Orange County, CA. USA
Posts: 1,157
Default Re: Scheduling your time for bread baking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by david s View Post
If the door does not seal then lots of heat will be lost. Italians used to seal around their doors with screwed up wet newspaper jammed around the sides and the top to seal the oven when cooking bread.
The door is very close to sealing but just misses. The top 60% seals and the sides are good, but it's not so tight at the bottom. The jamb is just a bit out. I still need to cut some stainless and get a gasket on it, Soon.. At least that's what I keep telling myself.. It hasn't really risen to the top of the "to-do" heap, :-)




Chris

Last edited by SCChris; 08-31-2013 at 09:27 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 09-09-2013, 01:59 AM
dimitrisbizakis's Avatar
Apprentice
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Greece
Posts: 132
Default Re: Scheduling your time for bread baking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith In Virginia View Post
I get to bake this long weekend...:-) even though I have a part work day tomorrow. If you want I'll keep track of my times and post them for you.
Hi there Faith, did you manage to keep track of the times?
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 09-09-2013, 05:50 AM
Faith In Virginia's Avatar
Master Builder
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Virginia
Posts: 720
Default Re: Scheduling your time for bread baking.

No sorry, I did not even bake but I will the next time I bake. I ended up driving to Illinois and back in the same day. 1400 miles in 24.5 hours. Then yesterday I spent half the day sleeping and the other half cleaning my new toy.

My new toy is a baking tool a Dutchess BMIH 36 dough divider.

I will track my times the next time I bake.

Faith
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 09-09-2013, 08:42 AM
Il Pizzaiolo
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: So. Orange County, CA. USA
Posts: 1,157
Default Re: Scheduling your time for bread baking.

[QUOTE=Faith In Virginia;My new toy is a baking tool a Dutchess BMIH 36 dough divider.
Faith[/QUOTE]



Didn't you have a divider that you were working on?

C
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 09-09-2013, 09:55 AM
Faith In Virginia's Avatar
Master Builder
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Virginia
Posts: 720
Default Re: Scheduling your time for bread baking.

Yes, that is an old, old divider/ rounder. Its taking lots of work to get it usable. then I have concerns that once cleaned it will be difficult to keep clean. It's not designed to clean easily. I'm also working on modifications that will make it easier to clean.

Now the BMIH is so friggin' cool all the parts are non corrosive (so no rust) and with 4(four) thumb screws the entire head assembly dismantles for easy and complete cleaning. You can even put it in the dishwasher.

Like most stuff I get this piece needed to be completely dismantled and cleaned. You can't believe how gross these things can get if you don't clean them regular. At the moment the cleaned parts are soaking in some Clorox water for final sterilization.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
baking, bread, programming, scheduling, sourdough

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Baking pig in wood oven. Asking for tips. arevalo53anos Roasting and Grilling 2 07-24-2007 12:04 PM
Bread baking is like tennis james Hearth Bread and Flatbread 6 03-27-2007 03:33 PM
Time and Temperature pizza bill Pizza 7 09-03-2006 04:06 PM
Bread baking follow up james Hearth Bread and Flatbread 7 02-23-2006 05:05 AM
#70 BAKING GLOSSARY: A possible start? Marcel Pizza 0 11-04-2005 08:41 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:11 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
2006/10 Forno Bravo, LLC