Old 08-28-2013, 12:32 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Scheduling your time for bread baking.

We cook eggplants a lot because they grow so well in our climate. I grow the white variety which I find superior because they are not bitter if picked before they turn yellow. I only have one plant but it is about four years old and usually always has fruit bearing year round. They neve seem to suffer from any kind of insect attack.We often roast them in the WFO to make Babaganoush, but beware that they can explode if placed into the oven if it's too hot. Better to slow roast them at around 200 C. It is such a versatile fruit, I often peel and dice a couple then cook the hell out of them in the microwave and add them to a curry base. It thickens the curry and gives it excellent flavours and texture. Sliced and covered in a 50/50 egg and olive oil then BBQ'd is also really nice or just char grilled also great. We also pickle them.
Old 08-30-2013, 02:30 AM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by david s View Post
We cook eggplants a lot because they grow so well in our climate. I grow the white variety which I find superior because they are not bitter if picked before they turn yellow. I only have one plant but it is about four years old and usually always has fruit bearing year round. They neve seem to suffer from any kind of insect attack.We often roast them in the WFO to make Babaganoush, but beware that they can explode if placed into the oven if it's too hot. Better to slow roast them at around 200 C. It is such a versatile fruit, I often peel and dice a couple then cook the hell out of them in the microwave and add them to a curry base. It thickens the curry and gives it excellent flavours and texture. Sliced and covered in a 50/50 egg and olive oil then BBQ'd is also really nice or just char grilled also great. We also pickle them.
Nice suggestion's my friend, i will try them next time for sure!
Old 08-30-2013, 05:46 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCChris View Post
Nice door!! My door doesn't quite seal but it does hold the heat. After I wrote the previous message I realized that I arrange the coals before placing the door, but there is a lot of live coals still glowing in the morning..

Chris
If the door does not seal then lots of heat will be lost. Italians used to seal around their doors with screwed up wet newspaper jammed around the sides and the top to seal the oven when cooking bread.
Old 08-30-2013, 05:56 PM
Master Builder

I get to bake this long weekend...:-) even though I have a part work day tomorrow. If you want I'll keep track of my times and post them for you.
Old 08-31-2013, 03:17 AM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith In Virginia View Post
I get to bake this long weekend...:-) even though I have a part work day tomorrow. If you want I'll keep track of my times and post them for you.
That will be wonderful!!!
Old 08-31-2013, 09:24 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by david s View Post
If the door does not seal then lots of heat will be lost. Italians used to seal around their doors with screwed up wet newspaper jammed around the sides and the top to seal the oven when cooking bread.
The door is very close to sealing but just misses. The top 60% seals and the sides are good, but it's not so tight at the bottom. The jamb is just a bit out. I still need to cut some stainless and get a gasket on it, Soon.. At least that's what I keep telling myself.. It hasn't really risen to the top of the "to-do" heap, :-)

Chris

Last edited by SCChris; 08-31-2013 at 09:27 AM.
Old 09-09-2013, 01:59 AM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith In Virginia View Post
Hi there Faith, did you manage to keep track of the times?
Old 09-09-2013, 05:50 AM
Master Builder

No sorry, I did not even bake but I will the next time I bake. I ended up driving to Illinois and back in the same day. 1400 miles in 24.5 hours. Then yesterday I spent half the day sleeping and the other half cleaning my new toy.

My new toy is a baking tool a Dutchess BMIH 36 dough divider.

I will track my times the next time I bake.

Faith
Old 09-09-2013, 08:42 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

[QUOTE=Faith In Virginia;My new toy is a baking tool a Dutchess BMIH 36 dough divider.
Faith[/QUOTE]

Didn't you have a divider that you were working on?

C
Old 09-09-2013, 09:55 AM
Master Builder

Yes, that is an old, old divider/ rounder. Its taking lots of work to get it usable. then I have concerns that once cleaned it will be difficult to keep clean. It's not designed to clean easily. I'm also working on modifications that will make it easier to clean.

Now the BMIH is so friggin' cool all the parts are non corrosive (so no rust) and with 4(four) thumb screws the entire head assembly dismantles for easy and complete cleaning. You can even put it in the dishwasher.

Like most stuff I get this piece needed to be completely dismantled and cleaned. You can't believe how gross these things can get if you don't clean them regular. At the moment the cleaned parts are soaking in some Clorox water for final sterilization.

Tags
baking, bread, programming, scheduling, sourdough