Old 08-24-2013, 07:04 AM
Master Builder

Default Re: Scheduling your time for bread baking.

Liked that video...very good. Thanks Chris
Old 08-24-2013, 11:47 PM
Apprentice

I found this very helpful and intresting article with some experiments and i though I should defenetly share it with you.

Demo: Proving Bread - Pastry & Baking - eGullet Forums
Old 08-25-2013, 07:11 AM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith In Virginia View Post
Boy o boy you have a lot going on.
First oven temp, I fire my oven rake out the coals...THEN I start my dough. This gives the oven hours and hours to regulate. When the dough is almost ready mop the floor and give the oven at least a half hour before loading. This is what I meant by have the oven waiting and ready for the dough. If your baking multiple loads give the oven a hour to recover before loading more bread (there are exceptions to this such as bread that requires lower baking temps)
How long, and how frequently do you burn your oven?

Quote:
Next the dough. I don't know how much pre-ferment you used in your dough. Or if you meant your bulk ferment was 13 hours ( way too long) That is the cause of your slack dough.
I used 10% sourdough starter with 100% hydration that i feed it the previous day and it was active, i think it's like doing the pre-ferment but not take the flour and the water from the recipe.

Quote:
With sourdough you don't windowpane the dough. Mix the dough until well incorporated then a little more mixing for development (don't know if your using a mixer or by hand)
I mix by hand, basically i just stretch and fold after autolyse.

Quote:
Then bulk ferment for 2 to 2.5 hours giving it a stretch and fold 2- 3- or 4 times during bulk ferment.
oops...looks like i skipped the S&F and let is for about 13 hours because of the low % of sourdough i put in(10%)!
Guilty your owner!

Quote:
I don't like the poke test per say. Once you form the loaf give it a poke feel how dense it feels to your finger. During proofing when you poke don't so much look at the dent as your feeling for the denseness to go away. (feel for soft and pillow like).
Then don't slash your loaf so far down the sides that will also lead to flat bread.
Start there and let me know how that goes and we can do this again. :-)
Happy baking.
Faith.
Faith you where enlightening!
I'll try again tomorow and i'll post some proggress.

This time i will try with prefrement.

Pre-frement

100g Flour
100g Water
20g Sourdougstarter

Main Dougn

900 g Flour
500 gr Water
30 min, autolyse.
Pre-frement and 15 g salt.
Stretch and fold 3 times in a two hour period.

Remove on the counter, divide the loafs, shape them and put on baskets.

In a hour or more i''bake.. hopping of course that i'll manage to tame my WFO!

Last edited by dimitrisbizakis; 08-25-2013 at 07:33 AM.
Old 08-25-2013, 03:09 PM
Master Builder

Burn time depends on the oven and type of wood used so my burn time most likely be much different from yours. Besides I have 7.5 inches of thermal mass all around my oven so my burn may be longer for that fact alone.

Looks good on your new outlook. Let us know how the bake goes.

Happy baking , Faith
Old 08-25-2013, 11:47 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Burn time depends on the oven and type of wood used so my burn time most likely be much different from yours. Besides I have 7.5 inches of thermal mass all around my oven so my burn may be longer for that fact alone.

Looks good on your new outlook. Let us know how the bake goes.

Happy baking , Faith
I know that there will be different burning times but I just want to have an idea.
Old 08-26-2013, 04:00 AM
Master Builder

I like to preheat my oven the day before. just to give it a start and real time to saturate. So that day I burn about 2.5 hours and take the oven from 0 to 300 ish close the door and bake day burn again another 2.5- 3 hours and take the oven from 300 to 550 ish. (those are the saturated temps not surface temps.
Old 08-26-2013, 06:10 AM
Apprentice

Quote:
I like to preheat my oven the day before. just to give it a start and real time to saturate. So that day I burn about 2.5 hours and take the oven from 0 to 300 ish close the door and bake day burn again another 2.5- 3 hours and take the oven from 300 to 550 ish. (those are the saturated temps not surface temps.
Preheat like an hour?
Isn't the same thing to burn those wood you would burn the day before at the same day?
Old 08-26-2013, 07:01 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimitrisbizakis View Post
Preheat like an hour?
Isn't the same thing to burn those wood you would burn the day before at the same day?
The oven structure can only transfer the heat into the brick so fast and by Pre-heating the oven and then burning again on the day of the bake the oven has more heat in store and so will hold the temperatures in the oven more stable. This stability helps because it increases the amount of time the oven is in the right temperature zone to bake or cook. Additionally it also gives you more time to adjust the temperature to up, by burning more, or down by mopping the oven floor with a wet mop. Pre-heating just gives you more opportunity to get the bake right.

Chris
Old 08-26-2013, 07:21 AM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCChris View Post
The oven structure can only transfer the heat into the brick so fast and by Pre-heating the oven and then burning again on the day of the bake the oven has more heat in store and so will hold the temperatures in the oven more stable. This stability helps because it increases the amount of time the oven is in the right temperature zone to bake or cook. Additionally it also gives you more time to adjust the temperature to up, by burning more, or down by mopping the oven floor with a wet mop. Pre-heating just gives you more opportunity to get the bake right.
Chris
Oh, i get it.
Why i can't light small batches of fire with time intervals?
Offcourse if we can find a good time so the oven captures heat than loses some.
I am thinking of an arch lowering kinda door for when the fire is small or only embers is on the oven, with this less heat will escape from the chimney.
Also some older people i know, they put some embers in front of the door like a heat curtain and the kept bigger heat inside.

Last edited by dimitrisbizakis; 08-26-2013 at 07:32 AM.
Old 08-26-2013, 07:34 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimitrisbizakis View Post
Oh, i get it.
Why i can't light small batches of fire with time intervals?
Offcourse if we can find a good time so the oven captures heat than loses some.
I am thinking of an arch lowering kinda door for when the fire is small or only embers is on the oven, with this less heat will escape from the chimney.
I suppose you could heat your oven this way.. I find it works best for me and my family, to run a hard fire for an hour or two, use this heat to cook dinner, and then build the fire for 30 minutes before putting the door on the oven. On review I edited the following stated procedure to correctly reflect what I do. I arrange the coals before closing the oven not in the morning. Better for charging the floor evenly. A couple of hours before I bake I remove the coals and mop out the oven and replace the door. At every one of these oven openings I'm checking the temperature of the oven to see what I need to do to make the oven ready.

Chris

Last edited by SCChris; 08-26-2013 at 10:20 AM.

Tags
baking, bread, programming, scheduling, sourdough