Old 12-17-2008, 06:08 AM
Master Builder

Default Re: Overnight proofing

Not so much correcting...rather clarifying. The yeasts do consume all available nutrients in their "neighbrohood" and more or less go dormant. Then when the bread is stretched and shaped those nutrients get redistributed. The amaylase enzymes don't really quit and neither does the maltase so that makes for plenty of available sugars for the yeasts. Deflating is more the result of the gluten being overstretched and breaking open...a bit underdeveloped...or other enzymes that are the result of the process break down the protein...in all those cases the gluten cannot hold on to the trapped carbon dioxide. An inportant consideration is that in a truly wild yeasted bread the bacterias outnumber the yeasts significantly creating a rather acidic environment which tends to make gluten development a bit more difficult and also creates more of the enzymes that break down the proteins...that is why many wild yeasted breads can be quite dense.
Good tasting bread is the goal...no matter how you bake it and slice it!
Best
Dutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber View Post
Dutch, thanks for correcting me. I'd always understood that when the bread dough stops rising and starts collapsing that the yeast was finished. One way or the other the ABin5 makes one tasty loaf!
Old 12-17-2008, 06:11 AM
Apprentice

Agreed! I heart carbs.
Old 12-22-2008, 11:38 AM
Apprentice

[QUOTE=Dutchoven;47338<snip> If you have done the final shaping you could freeze them...then you could do like the average megamart bakers and thaw, proof and then bake!!!
Best
Dutch[/QUOTE]

That is exactly what I have done. Thank you all for your input.

J W

Old 12-22-2008, 07:41 PM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwnorris View Post
That is exactly what I have done. Thank you all for your input.

J W

My pleasure!
Dutch