Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Brick Oven Cooking > Hearth Bread and Flatbread

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2013, 06:54 AM
Journeyman

Default Re: Ook Ook

I made two squares of Ook Ook the other night. One was eaten immediately and we saved the other. I made a sandwich last night by cutting the Ook Ook horizontally and lightly toasting the halves. The sandwich contained Havarti and Gouda cheeses, salmon I had smoked with a lemon pepper rub, lettuce, tomato, and Russian dressing. The sandwich was delicious with the Ook Ook. Thanks for the recipe.
Attached Thumbnails
Ook Ook-image_1516.jpg   Ook Ook-image_1517.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Check out my pictures here:

Selected pictures of the build.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.” ― Albert Einstein
Old 12-11-2013, 10:20 PM
Master Builder

Bec, your Ook Ook looks perfect!
Well done!
I have really no idea whether my recipe is authentic. My friend Andy has a gorgeous Italian wife, and he was the one who set me straight on the dimples for holding extra oil on the top. An Italian guy at work told me about the 1/4 inch of oil in the tray.
Both of these guys use the bread dough you can buy by the kilo in plastic bags at the local Woolworths supermarket, so I had to make up the dough recipe myself.
That's the beauty of this town - Woolworths are a massive national chain, not in anyway related to Woolworths in the UK. However, many of its local employees, including management, are local Italians, so we get lots of good ingredients available. Same for the competition, Coles, where my wife works. I really only make my own dough because I feel like it.
Of course, these people I call Italians are 3rd generation Aussies, at least. My friend Lou once told me he and Maria were "going back to Molfetta for a holiday." Then he laughed and said, "Listen to me! Did you here what I just said? Back to Molfetta! I was born here in the local hospital, and I've never been to Italy before."

Last edited by wotavidone; 12-11-2013 at 10:49 PM.
Old 12-12-2013, 06:49 PM
Journeyman

Thanks for the comment on my "Ook Ook". The recipe is similar to other focaccia I have made with more oil in the pan. I liked the tomato topping and people loved both the bread and the name. I am sticking to my story that it is an Australian version of focaccia. Again thanks for posting the recipe. Bruce

Check out my pictures here:

Selected pictures of the build.

“In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.” ― Albert Einstein
Old 12-16-2013, 03:19 AM
Master Builder

My mate Andy has taken me to task over the spelling. His wife Angie says there is no letter K in the Molfettese version of the bari dialect. Apparently "We only spell it like that on the signs at the deli so you Aussies can understand us."
Andy reckons it's "ucooc".
Angie says it's just focaccia, Andy says no way it's just focaccia.
He also told me off for the garlic, then said everyone's recipe is different.
Old 02-06-2014, 10:37 PM
Serf

I just came across this thread after googling ook ook. South Australian town with a high Italian population, you aren't in the states mid north are you? I lived up that way for a number of years and would get Ook ook at one of the local cafes at least once per week! I've been searching for a recipe for years but never could find one til this thread. It was like it didn't exist outside that town! Thankyou so much!
Old 02-07-2014, 08:33 PM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bianca View Post
I just came across this thread after googling ook ook. South Australian town with a high Italian population, you aren't in the states mid north are you? I lived up that way for a number of years and would get Ook ook at one of the local cafes at least once per week! I've been searching for a recipe for years but never could find one til this thread. It was like it didn't exist outside that town! Thankyou so much!
You're welcome.
Yep I'm in that town with the great big chimney. Of course, I am so old I was actually working there when the chimney was built.
Which café did you like?
I'm sure you would have experienced the whole "oil dripping out as you bite into it" thing. Not really anything like conventional focaccia, eh?
Pretty sure it doesn't exist anywhere else, except in someone's nonna's kitchen back in Molfetta. I doubt you'll ever see it in a café in Adelaide.
If you don't have a wood fired oven, I think you would need to run your kitchen oven very hot.

P.S. last time I actually bought ook ook, the lady who made it was Greek.

Last edited by wotavidone; 02-07-2014 at 09:11 PM.
Old 02-07-2014, 11:04 PM
Serf

No wood fired oven unfortunately but having the old Chef running flat out it still worked out a treat. I got a thermomix for Christmas so I've only just started experimenting with yeast doughs. Husband thought it was the best thing ever as he'd never eaten anything quite like it. I used to frequent the Country Cafe when I worked just around the corner. So grateful for this thread, I swear I've been googling every six months or so trying to find a recipe, thinking I'd made the whole thing up.
Old 02-10-2014, 03:26 PM
Master Builder

My workmate's missus bought the Country Cafe, renamed it Cafe Montana (no idea why), and gave it a go.
They closed it a couple of months ago. I guess they couldn't make it a pay.

I take it the ook ook turned out like you remembered it?

Pictures, we gotta have pictures.

Last edited by wotavidone; 02-10-2014 at 03:31 PM.
Old 02-13-2014, 01:13 AM
Master Builder

Thought I'd Google ook ook again. If you type ook ook Italian bread in Google images, mine and Bruce's pictures turn up in the first three rows, and after that you get pictures of bread, not ook ook.
Damn, that sandwich of Bruce's looks good.

It really does look like the world outside my town had never heard of this stuff until we got our thread going.

There is just a few years-old questions on forums asking for recipes and answers saying they'd never heard of it.

It feels pretty cool knowing we are first.

It really looks like it is just oil soaked, tomato topped focaccia, but it is sooo different to the normal stuff you can buy.

So if any members make it, post some pictures so we can further contribute to cultural awareness on the web.

Remember, if it's topped with anything other than tomato and herbs, it's not ook ook.
Old 03-04-2014, 11:13 AM
Apprentice

Default Ook Ook Looks Good!

I would like to try this... I am planning to make lasagna cupcakes next bake so I think I may modify the Ook Ook to the large cupcake pan... these dishes can't have enough edge for me... I always like the corners best!!

Thanks for the recipe!