Old 08-12-2009, 05:05 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: oh crud. drat.

A cup made a butt load of stuff. It's like breaking up egg shells, nothing like the texture I started with.

This thread gave me an idea - maybe we could all start sharing the different breads. It would be a pain to maintain more then 2 or 3, but just toss the one's you don't prefer (if that could happen).

Les...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 08-12-2009, 06:56 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

You know, even though the culture probably wouldn't stay "original" for long, that's not a bad idea. Could make some interesting breads for a week or so!
I know that some people insist that they can keep their cultures "original", but I am at a loss as to how they do it.

I know I have plenty of yeast and bacteria in the kitchen, I just had such a hard time getting it strong enough last winter that I was hoping to save some time. I will most likely start a new one at some point- I was used to having a couple to play with- I kept a rye one and a whole wheat one going. I was pretty upset that they met their end...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-13-2009, 07:20 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I know the feeling about the leaven! After a few years it becomes a friend (of sorts) and you learn its ways. Starting over - even with a healthy starter requires changes and relearning!