Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Hearth Bread and Flatbread (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f11/)
-   -   Nice bread slash (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f11/nice-bread-slash-2022.html)

james 05-28-2007 09:34 AM

Nice bread slash

1 Attachment(s)
Hey, this is getting fun. I have been following the dual recommendations of final proofing in banneton and the slightly lower heat and longer baking time for my hearth loaf, and it's getting better.

I kneaded the dough late last night (about 65% hydration) and shaped it, and then left it in the refrigerator overnight. I let it rise this morning, then pushed out the air bubble, and reshaped the dough ball (trying to be serious about the letter fold and seal), let it rise again. Shaped the boule according to Jim's video, put it in the banneton for about an hour; did the four slashes and baked (in a dutch oven in this case, but this applies to brick ovens). I left it in a more moderate oven for 45-50 minutes.

These are my best grigne yet -- though still not up to the standard of Jim's great boules, but at least it's getting better; and I guess that's what counts. And the crust is thick, dense and crunchy; which is how I like it.

What do you think Jim?
James

CanuckJim 05-28-2007 02:36 PM

Re: Nice bread slash

James,

Congrats. You're definitely on the right track. Next time, try holding your blade at about a 30 degree angle to the surface of the loaf. This will give you a bit of a flap, and the grigne might open even better for you. Nice looking loaf of bread. Well done.

Jim

Dutchoven 05-28-2007 06:10 PM

Looks great! How did it taste? Did you notice anything different with the slow rise in the fridge? That method tends to leave some sugars present the next day that usually aren't present in other methods. You might try to shape baguettes without pressing out the gas. After the overnight retarded rise in the fridge let the dough warm to room temp, turn it out onto floured board trying not to de-gas it and cut it into a few strips(I use a bench knife) and then stretch them into baguette shapes, slash em and bake em. Should only take about 15 to 20 min to bake in the 500 to 600 range. Should get a great caramel color and have fantastic flavors too. I hope you try this!
Best
Dutch

james 05-29-2007 03:20 AM

Afters years of baking, this is starting to make a little sense. The slash does two different things. The cut in the skin of the loaf gives the upward pressure of the seam and the oven spring a good place to go. Also, the little "lip" that you cut with the more steep angle (30º) give you the flap that stands out and becomes well defined.

Is that right?

I'm trying again today -- though I started the loaf this morning. I am using the last of the French flour with the additives, so it isn't a perfectly "controlled" experiment (changing too many variable).

Dutchoven,
I make the ice-water baguette recipe from the Bread Maker's Apprentice occasionally -- and you are right. It gives a remarkable caramel color and flavor. I took a few photos one time.

Are you a pro baker? The advice is excellent.

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f11/...ienne-469.html

James

CanuckJim 05-29-2007 05:02 PM

James,

Yes, at 30 degrees you'll get better definition. I suggest you try bulk fermentation, then driectly into you banneton, floured, after forming. Wait 20 minutes after dividing and before shaping. Seconday rise, your choice. Then cover the banneton completely with plasitic wrap; then straight into the fridge. Next day, no pre-rise at all but straight into the oven from the fridge. Baking time will be a bit longer, but you might like the results. This method works best with about 65-70 Per cent hyration, because the cold dough will not stick to the baskets.

Give it a shot.

Jim

james 05-30-2007 05:18 AM

Jim,
Let me make sure I have this right.
1. Bulk fermentation.
2. Form boule and into banneton (seam side up)
3. Into the refrigerator overnight (no final proofing)
4. Next day, straight into the oven.

Is that right? I am baking today, so the timing is perfect for overnight proofing.

James

Dutchoven 05-30-2007 01:11 PM

James,
I am no pro baker...but I am a pro golfer...so I like your golf reference in the other post... I just do an awful lot of research and work at it. Being a former New Yorkers living in rural Mississippi my wife and I have had to learn to make a lot of things for ourselves. I might be turning into a pro-baker/pizzaiolo/chef etc etc...as my wife wants us to open a cafe here where we live. I am definitely going to have wood fired pizza from an oven I will build. May also build a second barrel vault for baking and roasting...not totally sure yet. Your baguettes were really nice! I have made ciabatta with that same method. Cut off the sides and shape baguettes and then cut the middle into a couple of slippers. Not the same texture as ciabatta but a nice loaf never the less.

Jim
I am definitely going to try your bulk fermentation schedule. I often thought of that as a possibility but was never quite sure enough to try. I will be sure to post results when I have them.

All the best!
Dutch

james 05-30-2007 01:21 PM

Dutch,
Here I am slaving away at tennis lessons, and we have a pro golfer among us. Can you tell us more? I'm having real trouble with my backhand. Wait, wrong sport.

Keep us up to date on the bakery - sounds fun. NY to MS, now that's a trip.

I am following Jim's instructions, and as of 10:20PM, I have a chilled boule in the refrigerator since 4PM -- and it has risen to fill the banneton, despite the cool temperature. Tommorow AM it's into the dutch oven. More to come on that.

Jamess

Dutchoven 05-30-2007 03:32 PM

I look fore-ward to the results. I think it is great also that you are baking in a "Dutch oven." I don't play the tour, I am a club professional well, really a golf instructor is the probably the best definition. Should open a section for golf tips on the site ;-)
Best
Dutch

CanuckJim 05-30-2007 03:54 PM

James,

Just busy, hence the delay. You have the order correct. The boule will rise fully, as you've already seen. It's one of the key methods to manipulating time with wood-fired bread. When the oven's ready, the bread is ready. Let me know how you make out. One side benefit is that it's much easier to slash cold dough than warm. Don't be afraid to cut fairly deeply.

Jim