Old 09-30-2008, 07:52 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Never buy store bread again?

Way to go James! We still buy bread occasionally, just so the family keeps appreciating the home made stuff though .

And they do prefer homemade, even the kids, it is very cool

Btw, I have discovered what's in the flour I'm using. Its called Ruchmehl and apparently its a regional speciality - around here its just the most common flour there is. Its white flour with the bran mixed back in, or to put it another way, its wholemeal flour without the wheatgerm. It bakes like white flour, but has more bite (and roughage ) and I love it!

So, is there anything similar in other parts of the world, and if so, what is it called?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-01-2008, 11:59 AM
Brick Oven Merchant

Frances,
I will look up Ruchmehl and see if we can find something similar. One of my favorite travel memories is the great bread you have with breakfast in Swiss hotels. All you have to do is drive across the border with Italy and everything changes. :-)

I'm keeping up my pace, and made two loaves of banana bread yesterday -- snack with tea, dessert and school lunches. The baguettes are withering, but the whole wheat is going strong.

James

Old 10-01-2008, 02:38 PM
Apprentice

I'm definitely up for this challenge. I think it will be much easier with the fact that bought bread tastes like cardboard compared to the wholemeal and rye sourdough loaves that I make for my own personal stash every week
Old 10-03-2008, 08:45 AM
Laborer

Quote:
Originally Posted by james View Post
Che marca si usa? Which flour are you using?
Hecker's All purpose unbleached for the pre-ferment and King Arthur for the 2nd day rise. I haven't purchased Caputo yet, but I know people that have used it and when I asked for a sample they said they wouldn't part with it! Some nerve.
Old 10-03-2008, 06:20 PM
Master Builder

We have some people that come to our Farmer's Market booth who have not bought bread in a store for almost a year...they routinely buy 4 to 6 loaves from us...we unfortunately are never smart enough to keep some for ourselves...but you know that the shoemaker's kids always have worn out shoes!!!
Best
Dutch