Old 06-11-2014, 06:19 PM
Serf

Default Re: Naan in a tandoor oven

Hello guys,

I am a newbie to the whole tandoor thing, I need some advice on how to get the Naan to stick to the wall of the tandoor. such as what do you brush on the side where you slap it on to the tandoor and things of that nature if anyone can give me some advice that would be very helpful
Old 06-12-2014, 11:53 AM
Journeyman

Hi Tandoornewbie,

Just dampen the dough with a little water, not too much though. The side of the tandoor should be very hot. You may find that a long sleeve cotton shirt will protect you from the heat. The naan should be slapped firmly to the side about midway. Keep your hooked tool handy. Best of luck,

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-12-2014, 03:15 PM
Journeyman

They use a pillow with a tea towel as the final layer to slap it at my Indian Restaurant

http://www.mha-net.org/graphics/wild...r/DSC_3689.JPG
Old 06-12-2014, 03:58 PM
Journeyman

Hi All,

Look at the information in post #16.

There are lots of interesting naan recipes earlier in the posts. The process is fairly simple....slap a piece of dough against a hot clay pot and watch it cook. Eventually you will learn the technique and success will follow.

Search for "gaddi" online so you can see what they are, or improvise. The technique is to "roll" the dough onto the clay as you slap it into place with the gaddi. I suppose you have to practice a little before the technique becomes natural. View YouTube videos of naan bread being made. Soon you will get the idea.

Cheers,

Old 06-22-2014, 06:17 AM
Apprentice

We are looking at adding a tandoor oven to our outdoor kitchen along with the WFO and the Big Green Egg.

Old 06-22-2014, 12:45 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamG View Post
We are looking at adding a tandoor oven to our outdoor kitchen along with the WFO and the Big Green Egg.
Graham,

I am about to start building a tandoor oven too. Interested to share experience if you care. I've just started a thread for my planned build here (Tandoor oven build).
Old 06-24-2014, 12:48 PM
Apprentice

Just sent you 2 options