Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Brick Oven Cooking > Hearth Bread and Flatbread

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2013, 12:13 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: My journey to prefect Hearth Bread

I had never tasted teff until I went to SFBI and Frank Sally was practicing for the World's in France making the same breads day after day and two of them were high teff. I didn't particularly like the high teff bread but ten % range is (I think) really nice. I think Frank's bread was 33% teff (If bread flour was 100%, teff was I think 50%. For me that was too much and it made the bread heavy. But it did well at the worlds! So...

You could use it as seeds but I suspect you get more flavor with flour. Try it and let me know what you think!

At 10%, even with almost pure AP I got very good crumb. It toasts well. Nice texture!

More soon!
Jay
Old 12-24-2014, 01:36 PM
Apprentice

Merry Christmas!

Tartine Bread
Attached Thumbnails
My journey to prefect Hearth Bread-dsc_8803a.jpg  
SCChris likes this.

Tu Dat

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If you feel lost with building your WFO, just pray to St. Stephen who is the patron saint of bricklayers.
Old 12-24-2014, 04:02 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gorgeous Tu. ��

Merry Christmas all

Chris
Old 12-26-2014, 09:02 PM
Master Builder

Beautiful bread.

Merry Christmas
Matthew 19:26. With God all things are possible.

My Build:
Old 12-26-2014, 10:12 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by banhxeo76 View Post
Merry Christmas!

Tartine Bread
Great photo bet it was great bread too
Old 12-28-2014, 08:01 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:

Tartine Bread
How big was the load and if you can recall what temp?

Thanks

Chris
Old 12-29-2014, 10:23 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

That Tartine bread looks great. I'm guessing you use the Chad Robertson recipe?

I'm curious what temp you put the bread in at and for how long. I can get dark, lovely loaves like that out of a dutch oven but have yet to master getting that much color out of my WFO. I baked my last batch of 10 lbs at 400-450 for ~45 minutes and only got a light golden crust.

Old 12-29-2014, 10:46 AM
Master Builder

Hi DJ,

Your Dutch oven is ideal for maintaining a great steam environment for your bread. To get that in your WFO, start your bake around 460(I use this temp for my Dutch oven as well for the first 20 minutes, take off cover, reduce heat to 440f, but only use Dutch oven indoors) up your load to about 15 lbs or add a large pan of lava rocks or iron, pour Hot water over them and seal the door fast. Thats what works for me.
Old 12-29-2014, 10:49 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurentius View Post
Hi DJ,

Your Dutch oven is ideal for maintaining a great steam environment for your bread. To get that in your WFO, start your bake around 460(I use this temp for my Dutch oven as well for the first 20 minutes, take off cover, reduce heat to 440f, but only use Dutch oven indoors) up your load to about 15 lbs or add a large pan of lava rocks or iron, pour Hot water over them and seal the door fast. Thats what works for me.
Thanks L -

I only use the dutch oven indoors as well. One or two loaves is usually all I need.

I forgot to add that I had put a cast iron skillet full of water in there as well. I suspect that the temps in the oven were a bit lower than I wanted.

The problem I have with experimenting in the WFO is what to do with all the bread! The neighbors never seem to mind though.

Sorry for the interrupt, Tu

Old 12-29-2014, 11:06 AM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejayoh View Post
Thanks L -

I only use the dutch oven indoors as well. One or two loaves is usually all I need.

I forgot to add that I had put a cast iron skillet full of water in there as well. I suspect that the temps in the oven were a bit lower than I wanted.

The problem I have with experimenting in the WFO is what to do with all the bread! The neighbors never seem to mind though.

Sorry for the interrupt, Tu
I found out from baking baguette, that a steam flash or shock that you get from pouring hot water on a hot surface give a better effect than just having a humid environment that a pan of hot water offers.