Old 02-13-2013, 07:36 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: My journey to prefect Hearth Bread

Jay, you are a rabble rouser and instigator and just for that I'm going to bake!~

Chris

I needed to bake anyway.. ;-)

Last edited by SCChris; 02-13-2013 at 07:39 AM.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:31 PM
Apprentice

ohhh heck, I might at well bake some bread this weekend since ya are planning on it.

Tu Dat

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If you feel lost with building your WFO, just pray to St. Stephen who is the patron saint of bricklayers.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:49 PM
Master Builder

I'm wid Dat! Saute onion, orange zest sour dough.
Old 02-14-2013, 03:24 AM
Serf

Who Dat Ban!!
I'm jealous of the way you are turning out those nice looking loaves. And I'm envious of your WFO. Been wanting one but just cannot justify the cost.
I'm a newbie when it comes to dough so I'm still learning how to handle. Biggest problem is stretching and forming.
It's all fun. One day I'll get it right.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:11 AM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddieh70301 View Post
Been wanting one but just cannot justify the cost.
After having a WFO, I can't justify not having one. Plently of people did their WFO cheap by buying material second hand from Restore Habital for Humanity or even Craiglist. I got almost all of my concrete blocks for free off of craiglist. If you just want a functional WFO and don't care about appearance, you can manage to build on a budget easily. Just have to be patience with gather your materials for the build.

Tu Dat

If you feel lost with building your WFO, just pray to St. Stephen who is the patron saint of bricklayers.
Old 02-15-2013, 07:09 AM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karangi Dude View Post
Hi Tu,

My Wife ordered both of the books (they come together as a pack) for my birthday they just arrived and look really good, time to start reading and baking
K. Dude, your wife......is a keeper!

Now, you will make a killer hearth loaves soon.

Here are some links of videos of Chad Robertson that could help you with the process.

Bay Village Bakery Makes French Levain Bread - Martha Stewart Food

Tartine Bread - YouTube

Chad Robertson masterclass i Meyers Madhus - YouTube

I am going to make some Olive Tartine bread with a cast iron combo cooker this weekend.

Just a side note in regard to the books, if you want to make Tartine's croissant, use the Liz's version because it is a lot better Chad's. Even though Chad's croissant has levain in the dough, Chad's croissant is very dry (not enough butter for my taste) compare to Liz's. It puzzles me that they have two different receipes for croissant because I am wondering which receipe are they using for their bakery.

Tu Dat

Last edited by banhxeo76; 02-15-2013 at 07:18 AM.
Old 02-15-2013, 07:53 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Tu,

Watching the video of Chad Robertson's I saw he was using Central Milling flour, it struck a cord so I Googled Central Milling, wow, this flour is made right in my backard, in Logan Utah, about a hour away!

Happy B-day Doug and good reading and good baking..........I'm still under two feet of snow in my yard, but it is warming up and will be able to get to my oven soon.

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 02-15-2013, 08:08 AM
Apprentice

Talking Re: My journey to prefect Hearth Bread

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
Tu,

Watching the video of Chad Robertson's I saw he was using Central Milling flour, it struck a cord so I Googled Central Milling, wow, this flour is made right in my backard, in Logan Utah, about a hour away!
Russell,

When you visit New Orleans, can you pick up two 50 lb bags Central Milling Artisan Bread Flour for me?

Tu Dat

Old 02-15-2013, 08:20 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I'll sneak it in my luggage..........

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 02-19-2013, 08:39 AM
Apprentice

I tried Tartine Bread with Olive this past weekend and the result was not as good as I had expected to be. The holes in the crumb were not as good as I would like and this particular loaf seemed to be denser that I would like. I think I did too many different things for this bake which may contributed the failure. Instead of using bottle water like I do in the past, I used tap water. There is a high level of chlorine in New Orleansís tap water because our water source is from the Mississippi River. In order to make that water drinkable, it has to be clean with a lot of different chemicals. I think the chlorine may have prevented the leaven from reaching its full potential. Second potential problem is that I used flour that has lower protein content. Since the flour that I used has lower protein, the dough has only 75% hydration rather than the usual 80% hydration which I normally use for high gluten flour. I donít know if this may be the reason why the crumb was denser. The crumbs holes that I get from high gluten were unbelievable. Since this is a smaller batch, I was able to retard my dough in my refrigerator rather than my garage. Last, I used the cast iron cooker to bake this loaf in my gas oven. Any input is more than welcome.
Attached Thumbnails
My journey to prefect Hearth Bread-img_2132.jpg   My journey to prefect Hearth Bread-img_2133.jpg   My journey to prefect Hearth Bread-img_2137.jpg   My journey to prefect Hearth Bread-img_2142.jpg   My journey to prefect Hearth Bread-img_2143.jpg  

Tu Dat