Old 02-06-2013, 11:20 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: My journey to prefect Hearth Bread

I LOVE hand mixing. Only way I do it now! (except for weird things that are more of a batter, like Pan Doro).

Beautiful bake! Enjoy your cool garage while you can for soon you won't be able to retard in the garage!

Bake On!
Jay
Old 02-06-2013, 12:39 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by texassourdough View Post
I LOVE hand mixing. Only way I do it now! (except for weird things that are more of a batter, like Pan Doro).

Beautiful bake! Enjoy your cool garage while you can for soon you won't be able to retard in the garage!

Bake On!
Jay
I know, it is so rewarding from hand mixing. Of course, it is so easy to mix with high hydration %. I am not looking forward to the summer because of heat and the humidly. We both pretty much have the same problem with heat. I may have to buy another refrigerator just to retard my dough and storage my flour. When summer comes, I will try to bake some smaller amount of bread in gas oven because Chad Robertson and you proved that great bread can come out of gas oven. Jay, I am not going to lie, the bread you baked from your gas oven looks better than 99% than the breads I see on this forum. It just proves that you need to know what you are doing rather than just having a WFO. I first thought that you need to have a WFO to bake awesome bread but not anymore. However, I still glad and very happy that I built my WFO.

Tu Dat

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If you feel lost with building your WFO, just pray to St. Stephen who is the patron saint of bricklayers.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:46 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hi Dat!

The reason I bake in an indoor oven (usually electric but I have and use both gas and electric) is that in my experience the cloche gives a prettier crust than I can get in a WFO unless I make big batches - and I would rather not make 15 pound batches. I do occasionally but I won't do a small batch in my WFO because I am not happy with the look.

BTW, congrats on working with 82% hydration! Most struggle with that and you seem to have resolved that issue quickly! That contributes significantly to your great crumb and oven spring! (As you know!)

Good work!
Jay
Old 02-06-2013, 01:42 PM
Apprentice

Now that I am comfortable with my technique and have a better feel for fermentation (Thanks for a lot of people on Forno Bravo and especially to Jay), I want to try baking hearth loaves with better flour. So, I went back and read "The Bread Builder" again and it is just amazing that I was able to understand a lot more this time around. One main thing I got out of "The Bread Builder" this time around is that the majority of the bread flour produced in this country are high on protein (12% to 14%) and low on ash (.48%) content because that is just nature of the wheat that grow here in North America. However, in Western Europe, the bread flour is lower on protein with higher ash content and I think most of us can agree that the bread in Europe is better than the one in the states. From what I understand, higher amount ash is ideal for long fermentation which in my opinion, is the best method for making tasty hearth loaves. Okay, then how the heck am I going to get that type of flour within reasonable price?

There is flour supplier out in San Francisco that goes by the name of Giusto’s which “the Bread Builder” raved about and Giusto’s makes similar flour that you find in Europe. As matter of fact, Chad Robertson used flour from Giusto’s to make his classic Tartine Country Bread. This could explain why Northern California’s bakeries are the best in the country because those bakeries are within reasonable distance to premium flour supplier. Giusto’s also sell its flour online and its bread flour cost about $40 for 30lbs & another $41 for shipping to New Orleans. (Cost $2.36 per lb.)

Another flour supplier that carries a similar flour that is located in Vermont is of course, King Arthur Artisan. This could also explain why there so many good bakeries in the Northeastern as well. King Arthur sells its European-Style Artisan Bread flour for $8 for 3lbs and another $6 for shipping to New Orleans. (Cost $4.6 per lbs.)

No supermarket in New Orleans area stocks this particular flour on their selves

So, I called up one distributor in New Orleans who supplies most of bakery need this area and they just so happen to sell King Arthur organic artisan bread flour and it has the protein and ash content that I been looking for. 50 lbs bag costs about $45 which is more than reasonable since shipping is included. However, $45 per bag is based one whole pallet. They don’t carry these item on their stock and they only special order them. I told them that I just only want one bag so that I can test the flour before I am committed to buy one whole pallet.

I had to set up an account with them before they can get me a price for one 50lb bag. It could cost more per bag because I only request for one 50 lbs bag. They called me back and let me know there is only one customer that ordered that particular flour and they had to remove one bag from that customer’s order of one pallet because the bag was ripped. They were willing to sell me that ripped bag for $20 at first. I gladly took that offer on the phone. When I showed up in person and more than willing to pay $20, they decided to donate the flour to me. Mannnnn, life is good.

Well, this journey is just getting started!

I like to give a shout out to those workers in the flour warehouse who have the tendency to rip bag of flour by accident.
Attached Thumbnails
My journey to prefect Hearth Bread-img_2091.jpg  

Tu Dat

If you feel lost with building your WFO, just pray to St. Stephen who is the patron saint of bricklayers.

Last edited by banhxeo76; 02-14-2013 at 09:28 AM.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:35 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Tu,
The last 50# bag I bought was $34 through a local LA bread baking group. It was Central Milling Organic Artisan Bakers Craft, a blend of hard red wheat, 11.5% protein. The volume AP bags at Costco and Whole Foods have been reported to be from Central Milling, at least here in Cal. The 25Kg bag of Antimo Caputo pizza flour I bought from a local WF pizza restaurant. I asked if he’d sell me a bag and he gave me a great price, so my point is don’t overlook local retail bakers or warehouse stores as sources. WJW gets his at Costco or Sam’s Club or some such..

I should add the LA bread baking group orders a or several pallets at a time, once a month. Very nice people..

Chris

Last edited by SCChris; 02-06-2013 at 02:38 PM.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:19 AM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCChris View Post
Tu,
The last 50# bag I bought was $34 through a local LA bread baking group. It was Central Milling Organic Artisan Bakers Craft, a blend of hard red wheat, 11.5% protein. The volume AP bags at Costco and Whole Foods have been reported to be from Central Milling, at least here in Cal. The 25Kg bag of Antimo Caputo pizza flour I bought from a local WF pizza restaurant. I asked if heíd sell me a bag and he gave me a great price, so my point is donít overlook local retail bakers or warehouse stores as sources. WJW gets his at Costco or Samís Club or some such..

I should add the LA bread baking group orders a or several pallets at a time, once a month. Very nice people..
Southern Cali and New Orleans are completely two different market. We don't even have a Costco here in New Orleans and Sam's Club only carries AP bleached flour. I guess I could use AP bleached flour from Sam's but that flour does not contained enough of ash content for long fermentation to my liking and I rather not using any bleached flour.

Believe or not, New Orleans only has one traditional French Bakery that sell good sour dough and baguette. I guess I can try to buy some flour from this bakery but I have a feeling that they will hesitate to sell me a bag because they don't want to reveal what type of flour they use. However, I guess it doesn't hurt to ask.

Most of the bread that are produced here in New Orleans is rising French Bread. Rising French Bread is usualy made from AP bleached flour with commerical yeast and we mainly use that bread for po-boy sandwiches. Therefore, premuim flour does not come into this market because there is not a high demand for it. People don't visit New Orleans for bread, they come here for the seafood.

As far as starting a group in New Orleans like LA Bread Baking Group, I may give that a shot. However, New Orleans is a very small market (even smaller after Hurricane Katrina). Thanks for the suggestion.

Tu Dat

Old 02-07-2013, 07:33 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Give the bakery a try. I have found, so far, that most of the artisans aren't worried about competition and many are very happy to talk to rank amateurs like us.

Chris
Old 02-07-2013, 12:24 PM
Apprentice

Indeed, I got a lead on a cheap source for Caputo Tipo 00 flour by walking into a local pizzeria and asking for their distributor. Both they--and the distributor, for that matter--were more amused than anything else, especially when I explained that "I built a brick oven in my back yard and need flour for it".
Old 02-13-2013, 01:27 AM
Journeyman

Loving this thread. Great discourse. Great info. Great bread.

Good job to all...especially to Tu for starting the thread.

I'm feeling a big bake coming on this weekend.

Bill

Last edited by WJW; 02-13-2013 at 01:30 AM.
Old 02-13-2013, 06:09 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Burn, baby burn!