Old 02-04-2013, 11:04 AM
Apprentice

Default Re: My journey to prefect Hearth Bread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurentius View Post
Hi Who Dat,

I tried Dat, but it kept me from using my oven and I just hate Dat, so I stopped doing Dat.
A fresh loaf and a hot fire, I'm loving it.
I agree with dat statement. Nothing tastes and smells better than a fresh loaf right out of the WFO. However, it is not possible for me to do that in the middle of the week with my schedule. Keeping some loaves in the freezer allow me to enjoy some of my bread in the middle of the week rather than waiting until the weekend for a fresh loaf. The main reason why I brought up about freezer as storage for my bread is because it gives me the best result for tasting after fresh bread. Keeping bread in the refrigerator was not good at all because refrigerator tends to suck moist out of the loaf. Keeping bread on the counter at room temp will make the bread super stale and make it extremely chewy. Hey, if I win dat lottery, I will only eat dat fresh bread as well.

Tu Dat

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If you feel lost with building your WFO, just pray to St. Stephen who is the patron saint of bricklayers.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:32 AM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by texassourdough View Post

My only comment (and it is not criticism) is that IF you are aspiring to Tartine loaves, your loaves are still light. Chad's loaves are very dark. If you want that look you probably need to load at a marginally higher temp. How dark to bake is a personal preference and while I tend to prefer slightly darker, there is nothing wrong with that bake that I can see.
Jay, you are absolutely correct with your assessment of my bread. Chad’s Country Tartine Bread is a lot darker than mine. However, I think I could solve the problem by baking my loaves in the WFO a little longer. I think I would burn the bottom of the bread if I load the dough at a hotter temp. One main thing that I learned from Chad’s technique that he is not a slave to internal temperature 212 F of the loaf. It seems like both Daniel Wing and Peter Reinhart’s instruction are very strict with the internal temperature because both suggest you to take out the bread out once it gets to 212 f. However, Chad removed the loaves out of the oven just based on appearance and sound when you tap on the bread rather than internal temperature. I think I am a slave to the internal temperature benchmark because that is what I first believed in and I need to let that go. One key thing that I forgot to mention is that I retarded the dough overnight in my garage which is about 55-60 F. I just don’t have enough space in my 40 degree F refrigerator to retard of my dough. I am thinking perhaps that may contributed my dough not being as dark as Chad’s.

I baked 24 loaves on Friday which I did with two loads and I gave most of them away to a some nuns at a convent. My wife finds that tartine's crust is too hard. However, my daughter and I just think it is prefect for soft cheese and pate. My two years old son love eat the crumb with his tomatoe basil soup. Perhaps, the crust may be too hard because I am using high gluten flour which contain 14% protein. I am trying to get my hands on fresh ground flour which is kinda of hard find in New Orleans area.
Attached Thumbnails
My journey to prefect Hearth Bread-img_2076.jpg   My journey to prefect Hearth Bread-img_2077.jpg  

Tu Dat

If you feel lost with building your WFO, just pray to St. Stephen who is the patron saint of bricklayers.

Last edited by banhxeo76; 02-14-2013 at 09:20 AM.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:36 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Tu, I am continually reminded of the bread talent here at FB. most recently Faith with her Croissants, you and and Bill with your large batches of bread and Jay, as always with his instructive insight.

Sincerely

Chris
Old 02-04-2013, 12:46 PM
Master Builder

Hey Dat,

How much flour did you use to make 24 loves?
Old 02-04-2013, 01:04 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Hey Dat,

How much flour did you use to make 24 loves?
I used about 8,400 gram of flour (which includes 7,250 gram of bread flour, 1,150g of whole wheat flour) with 82% hydration. Each dough weigh about about 650g before loading into the WFO.

Tu Dat

Old 02-04-2013, 01:32 PM
Master Builder

By hand or mixer?
Old 02-04-2013, 01:47 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
By hand or mixer?
All by hand. Just simple stretch and fold.

It is a method developed by Chad Robertson.

Chad Robertson masterclass i Meyers Madhus - YouTube

Tu Dat

Old 02-04-2013, 03:17 PM
Master Builder

Thanks Dat,

Yes, its the same technique that I use, but I've never made that many loaves at once.
Old 02-04-2013, 05:02 PM
Master Builder

I like my Univex 30 quart for loads that large.

Laurentius, Missed out on the 20 quart Hobart...price is still good but more then I want to go. such is life.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:57 AM
Apprentice

A few thousand bucks for a mixer. Forget that, I am prefectly happy with my clear plastic buckets and my right arm. I would rather use that money for another WFO....Barrel Vault style this time around.

Tu Dat

Last edited by banhxeo76; 02-13-2013 at 12:29 PM.