Old 01-07-2013, 02:39 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: My journey to prefect Hearth Bread

My interpretation of the bottom and inference of a slightly cool hearth was from the slightly light look near the base of a couple of loaves. In the cut slice the crust looks pretty uniform all over (top, bottom, sides) so I questioned my inference. The slice doesn't look dark so I have to ask if you raked the coals out and got the hearth uniformly hot (and made sure that ash didn't insulate part of the hearth).

Sticking and losing part of the skin can definitely affect crust color and contribute to a blotchy look (like you have on a couple of loaves). Rice flour is a powerful release agent. I tend not to use it because (at least some brands) give a sandy texture to the crust I don't like. Still, rice flour is better than screwed up loaves.

WRT sticking...I am a bit torn on diagnosing your crumb and the inferences I am making on your sticking.... Are you using bread flour for your loaves (which tightens crumb a lot). I make my 73 to 75 % hydration loaves (including Tartine) using KA AP (at 12.5%). I think your sticking may result from inadequate development. How are you mixing your final dough? You probably aren't getting the skin of the loaves tight enough either. As I indicated earlier that should come with experience!

WRT side blowouts. While any given loaf can do most anything, side blowouts almost always (in my experience) mean the loaves were too close together. If the oven is not dry and the loaf is slashed the loaf should always expand at the slash.

Hang in there! You are really close.
Old 01-19-2013, 03:27 PM
Apprentice

Well, I went at it again today with Tartine Country Bread. Last week, I went to the library and checked out Chad Robertson's book called Tartine Bread. After I read the book a couple of time, I realized that I made some significant mistakes on my last attempt of Tartine Country Bread.
- I didn't slash the dough enough which caused some blowout on the side of my bread.
- I used excel to calculate amount of ingredients that I needed for 9 loaves. However there was an error on my formula which resulted in 70 hydration rather than 75% hydration per Chad's instruction. I think this contributed to the smaller holes in the crumb
- Instead of using bread flour as a release agent, I should be using rice/wheat flour mixture as a release agent like some of your guys have already recommended.
Last night, I mixed the dough with 80% hydration and I noticed that it was a lot easier to mix the dough in the beginning. However, it was very hard to shape the dough because it was very wet. I did a few type of slash on the dough to see what will work best. I like the three vertical slashes because it was easy to do and the rise on this slashes was consistent. I had to put in the dough a little early than I would like because my 9 months pregnant wife was getting hungry. The air temperature was reading 515 F and the surface temp. was about 565 F. I had to spray extra water into the WFO before I loaded the dough into the WFO since it was still hot. Let me tell you something, rice and wheat flour mixture as a release agent worked beautifully and I will not bake bread without it. After I loaded 9 dough of 630 grams, I sprayed a little bit more of moisture over the dough so that it gave dough some time to rise up in the first 15 minutes of baking and closed the door. Opened the door at 12 minutes because the wife was complaining and it appeared the dough rise up pretty nicely and thank god for no side blow out. Closed the door again to let the bread bake more. 15 minutes later, the bread was pretty much done and the smell was awesome. I noticed that I got some nice blisters all over the loaves. As I unloaded the loaves from the WFO, I noticed the loaves were singing to my ears. Nice cracklin' sound from the loaves. I brushed excess flour off the loaves with a medium brush while they were still hot. I ripped one loaf up and the aroma was great. Nice holes in the crumb and crust was outstanding. Oh yeah, the pregnant wife stopped complaining when she saw the bread.
I placed my insulated door back on and noticed that the air temp. maintain at 500 for the next 3.5 hours. I could of baked 3 more loads if I wanted to and I may attempt that in the near future so that I can give to bread away. Thanks Chad Robertson for sharing your recipe and technique.
Attached Thumbnails
My journey to prefect Hearth Bread-img_2015.jpg   My journey to prefect Hearth Bread-img_2016.jpg   My journey to prefect Hearth Bread-img_2017.jpg   My journey to prefect Hearth Bread-img_2020.jpg   My journey to prefect Hearth Bread-img_2018.jpg  

Tu Dat

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If you feel lost with building your WFO, just pray to St. Stephen who is the patron saint of bricklayers.

Last edited by banhxeo76; 01-21-2013 at 07:31 AM.
Old 01-19-2013, 06:27 PM
Journeyman

Well done,,,, thats some very sexy looking bread.
Im drooling here
Old 01-20-2013, 10:50 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Very Very nice!

Chris
Old 01-21-2013, 03:06 AM
Journeyman

Looks great!
Old 01-22-2013, 08:35 AM
Apprentice

Thanks for the kind words guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karangi Dude View Post
Hi Tu,
That is beautiful looking bread, I bet it tastes as good as it looks.
Tu, my plan this year is to work on my hearth bread if I can get it something like yours I will be stoked, happy baking.
Doug,

It did taste as good as it looks. With you cooking/masonry ability, you can certainly get there. You need to get Chad Robertson’s Tartine Bread book. The book doesn’t have ton of recipes but the descriptions and the photos are very helpful and I certainly learned a lot from that book.

Tu Dat

If you feel lost with building your WFO, just pray to St. Stephen who is the patron saint of bricklayers.

Last edited by banhxeo76; 01-22-2013 at 12:13 PM.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:20 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Tu,
Sorry for the delay in my kudos. Very nice lookin breads. You feeding the neighborhood?
Old 01-25-2013, 01:13 PM
Apprentice

I sure did gave some to the neighbors. I kept some in the freezer and took it out last night and bake it in my gas oven for 20 minutes at 350 F. I was very surpised how good it tasted after being in the freezer for more than 5 days. I guess, I can do a monthly bake and keep the extra in the freezer. The crumb was still moist and soft. It was great with soft cheese and olive oil.

Tu Dat

Old 01-25-2013, 04:53 PM
Master Builder

Hi Who Dat,

I tried Dat, but it kept me from using my oven and I just hate Dat, so I stopped doing Dat.
A fresh loaf and a hot fire, I'm loving it.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:22 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Sorry to be slow responding but I was incommunicado in Argentina.

Looks like you just about nailed it! Very good. Nice crumb. Good bake. Good technique from all appearances.

My only comment (and it is not criticism) is that IF you are aspiring to Tartine loaves, your loaves are still light. Chad's loaves are very dark. If you want that look you probably need to load at a marginally higher temp. How dark to bake is a personal preference and while I tend to prefer slightly darker, there is nothing wrong with that bake that I can see.

Well done!
Jay