Old 02-15-2010, 07:12 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Loaf Shape?

Need a crumb shot to really tell much. They look a bit rough but I like my bread rustic so it doesn't bother me at all. Your slashing continues to look good. Forming looks like the biggest problem - and contributed to some of the "character" of the loaves. It AIN"T easy!
Jay
Old 02-15-2010, 09:28 PM
Apprentice

What's the best way to off load a long baguette? Down the length or off the side. I tried both. The off the side didn't work well as I didn't flour the board and the board was too tall. It rolled onto it's side and I had to hastily try to save it :-p I did get to practice some French, tho. The second one I slid down the length, which did pretty well, but really stretched the middle thin. The "rustic" shapes are mainly due to those mishaps. I'm trying to remember what I've seen in the vids I've seen.

The crumb was good - open celled with few big pockets. Sorry, no pics. the, uhhhh, evidence has disappeared :-)
Pdiff
Old 02-16-2010, 07:07 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Ahhh, yes, the old rolling off the board routine! Lots of things go wrong there! I don't have a good answer to that and i don't do long baguettes a lot. My shorter baguettes go off the end like a boule. Methinks that us amateurs who don't do a LOT of baguettes benefit from using parchment. It allows the loaf to slide off the peel and onto the stone with no danger of rolling over - thus keeping the slashes on top.

WRT baguettes I continue to hone my forming and have been working on both the tensioning during the loaf formation and the ends - striving to avoid the end blob/dumbell shape that is so much easier to accomplish!

Hang in there. You are really close!
Jay
Old 02-16-2010, 10:43 AM
Apprentice

Thanks Jay. Fortunately I am, and plan to stay, in the amateur class :-) The Baguette was a spur of the moment thing - like "hey, let's see how long I can roll this puppy out". Then afterwards, scrambling through the barn wood pile trying to find a decent (clean) board to launch the sucker :-) Not the best planned outing ... Still, I have a nice board now and will work it up a bit to be thinner and smoother. I need to get in a bit of wood work anyway. Too cold to finish the oven and I haven't done any woodwork other than splitting logs since my kayak building days. This job isn't much different from paddle making.

Yet another challenge! :-)

Pdiff
Old 02-17-2010, 09:26 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdiff View Post
Then afterwards, scrambling through the barn wood pile trying to find a decent (clean) board to launch the sucker :-) Not the best planned outing ...
LOL! I share the pain! Bread has a way of becoming "an adventure" from time to time.
Old 02-17-2010, 10:00 PM
Master Builder

Just an addition from a somewhat experienced baguette baker...you need a flipping board to get it from the couche to the peel...flip onto the board topside down then invert onto the peel...as far as getting them off the peel...quick flip and off the front just like any other loaf...you can even use the peel to straighten them out a bit...sometimes they roll in the oven a bit from the crazy ovenspring the WFO give
Good luck and it is all in the way you hold your tongue
Best
Dutch
Old 02-18-2010, 12:35 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Do you guys not use a baguette rack/tray with holes in it for baking uniform baguettes?

I have seen the commercial bakery guys use them with good results.
Attached Thumbnails
Loaf Shape?-baguette_.jpg  
Old 02-18-2010, 07:04 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hi Rossco!

I have baguette trays and I use them from time to time but IMO they give a commercial looking loaf and I want the artisanal, hand-crafted look. Part of why a bit rustic doesn't bother me at all. But I do use them a couple of times a year...usually when I want to do a double batch of batards and short baguettes and don't want to stage the baking.
Old 02-18-2010, 07:07 AM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by heliman View Post
Do you guys not use a baguette rack/tray with holes in it for baking uniform baguettes?

I have seen the commercial bakery guys use them with good results.
Some of them are not a heavy enough gauge and warp in the high temp of the WFO and others are treated with a nonstick surface and are definitely no good in the WFO...otherwise they are fine but I am like Jay and like the uniqueness of the handcrafted look...
Best
Dutch
Old 02-18-2010, 09:12 AM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchoven View Post
Just an addition from a somewhat experienced baguette baker...you need a flipping board to get it from the couche to the peel...flip onto the board topside down then invert onto the peel...as far as getting them off the peel...quick flip and off the front just like any other loaf...you can even use the peel to straighten them out a bit...sometimes they roll in the oven a bit from the crazy ovenspring the WFO give
Good luck and it is all in the way you hold your tongue
Best
Dutch
Thanks for the input Dutch. I will definitely give it another shot. It's a challenge now :-) One of the loaves I did try to slip off the end, but the board was too tall with a sharp edge and unfloured, so the whole loaf stretched length-wise as I pulled the "peel" out from under it. I want to run the board through the planer a few times to thin it out and smooth it up a bit to try again.... and I can definitely see the need for tongue practice! :-)

Pdiff