Old 02-28-2013, 07:03 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: I'm building a bread loader or two.

Hi Chris!

I got to use a commercial loader at SFBI. They are literally awesome. The trick will lie in backing the plywood out at a rate matching the speed of the belt. Success would be awesome!

Good Luck!
Jay
Old 02-28-2013, 08:56 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

To be honest, I don't see an easy way to handle loading an oven with baguettes without some sort of loader. I love the look of the boules that I'm producing; the crumb and crust are really feeling right. The addition of the retarded soaker and fresh milled flour, have helped put the flavor where I like them. I feel really good about the boules, but I can’t help but feel that the Battard and Baguette shapes are more user friendly. They are easier and safer to slice by the recipients of these loaves. Anyway the baguette can be a nice complement to the boule. This can really become true if the Boules are higher percentages of Whole Wheat or Rye where they may get better with a day of rest after baking. Additionally where the baguettes want a hotter oven and a shorter bake the boules will be happier to be the second bake out of the WFO.

Chris
Old 02-28-2013, 09:32 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

The normal way of handling baguettes is a long thin board. Flip it over/upside down from the couche onto the board, then onto the loader. When the loader is full, slash and load the oven. Wonderful! I agree, peels don't really work so well for baguettes in my experience. Be warned! Forming baguettes can be distinctly challenging. The SFBI Artisanal I is almost nothing but baguettes and while I made beautiful ones there, getting the dough just right and forming at home has never achieved the same levels!

The retard with the fresh flour is a nice touch. I began using fresh flour at 5 to 10% years ago and the aromatic benefits are really nice. You are no doubt using more! For baguettes I think I would presoak/autolyse the fresh flour to get it broken down a bit before mixing with the starter. Have you tried that?
Old 02-28-2013, 09:52 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I'm prepared for the Baguettes I know they are going to be a shaping challenge and I'll likely work with very plain dough to start and then shift the recipe as I get a feel for the shape, the bake and the rest of it. I may even go with instant dry yeast in AP and retarded dough to start with. Practice, practice, practice.. My reasoning to build a little loader for the home oven is that I can gain shaping experience and run four loaves at a bake. I'll be ordering a 1" thick custom cut cordite shelf from the ceramics outlet to replace the granite that's in place right now, this should mimic the WFO a bit better than the granite. Bit by Bit, One problem at a time..

Chris
Old 02-28-2013, 01:15 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

We made baguettes, boules, batards, epis, etc. all from the same basic dough - a 73% hydration (as I recall) straight dough (water, flour, yeast, diastatic malt). We did use different processes (slow, fast, modified proofing programs) but the slow and modified doughs were pretty similar. You want the baguette dough to be about as wet as you can handle w/o sticking. Linen is IMO mandatory. A little IDY boost is not a bad idea for you want the dough gassy and light.

And you were definitely right (in the other chain) that bigger batches are different. Batches over about ten pounds behave rather differently from small batches and heat and moisture loss are two of the key factors. The mass of a big batch gives it a stability of temp such that you get the dough temp right and it will GO! On a very reliable schedule. Also has a different feel IMO which I think is gassyness/lightness/bounciness.
Old 02-28-2013, 01:18 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Here is an example of a comercial loader for home use called the "Super Peel" it might give you some ideas on what to do.

I do not own one and have never tried it but food of thought.

Super Peel® - The Ultimate Baker's Transport Tool

Chip
Old 04-06-2013, 02:35 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Ok, it's been a while but here is an example of the very basic loader that I've been thinking about or at least along the lines of. It need tuning and needs to evolve, but it's a start. The yardstick keeps the linen from pulling into the oven. It hold outside the oven and when the bottom of the linen is pulled, the plywood is pulled out and the loaves are deposited on the bake stone.

Oh yes, the loaves need work, shaping and slashing but otherwise but the loader worked.

Things I learned and what needs to be refined.

1 There is a fair amount of resistance when the linen is pulled and I need to add some cornmeal or rice flour between the linen and the plywood.

2 The direction of the face on the plywood needs to be perpendicular to the direction that the linen will be pulled to avoid the potential to catch.

I'll need to increase the size and complexity when I make something for the WFO.

Chris

PS The cast iron and shelf there on were replaced after the bake was finished.
And the Boules baked in the cast iron and, of course, my helper.
Attached Thumbnails
I'm building a bread loader or two.-miniloader.jpg   I'm building a bread loader or two.-bakingstone.jpg   I'm building a bread loader or two.-baguettes.jpg   I'm building a bread loader or two.-dsc_0013.jpg   I'm building a bread loader or two.-dsc_0008.jpg  

Last edited by SCChris; 04-06-2013 at 04:58 PM.
Old 04-06-2013, 05:51 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

What keeps the linen from turning into smoke when this is moved into the oven I watched a video yesterday with a guy dropping three loaves from one peel - way above my pay grade

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 04-06-2013, 06:30 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

The linen is unprotected and I need to do some testing above 500F to verify that I don't need some underlying protection in a WFO. At a pre-heated 500F oven on the bake stone I'm not smelling any smoke but it's not staying on the heat long. I'm imagining a couple of hardwood skids that raise the linen off the WFO deck and allow me to slide the whole thing into position.

Re Pros loading loaves, I've seen boules loaded 3 to a peel, pretty slick, but I haven't seen shapes like baguettes and epi dropped from peels. I'm sure it's done and I have great respect for the pro that can do it en mass. Yep, Way above my grade..

Chris

Last edited by SCChris; 04-08-2013 at 03:21 PM.
Old 04-06-2013, 09:22 PM
Laborer

Every time I do baguettes, I wish I had a rectangular oven . I have an 18" wide x 36" bread peel; I can only place 5 full-length baguettes at a time, in the middle of the floor. If I try to slip in a couple more on the sides, they usually come out bent .