Old 03-11-2011, 08:17 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: I'm back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by egalecki View Post
We've had lots of rain in the past couple of weeks.
I welcome rain - it's the white stuff I am tired of. For 26 years I have been successful with a shovel - Nature finally won, I bought a snow blower. Spring is in the air - I plan on firing the oven next week.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 03-12-2011, 12:38 AM
Master Builder

I maintain three starters, white, WW, Rye so if your starters don't recover let me know.
Old 03-12-2011, 07:39 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I made Wilson buy a snow blower this year after last year's huge snowfalls. Between his bike accident, not getting any younger, and having to remove snow from all our apartment buildings decks and walks, I just didn't want him to have to do it with a shovel.

Then we didn't get any snow.

Of course, we didn't get any rain to speak of either, so it's been very, very dry here. Lots of brush fires. We've finally begun getting rain, and it's nice, but I don't think we needed it all at once....

To bring this back somewhat to topic, (sorry, I wander...) my sourdough is bubbling a bit. Going to dump half and feed it again. It stills smells appropriate- it's just a bit sluggish. I think I'll feed it half rye this time and we'll see if it likes that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-14-2011, 07:00 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Wow. My sourdough went from a few bubbles to waaay active! I came out yesterday morning after feeding it again the night before to find it all over the counter.

so this is what I baked today, in the wfo. All sourdough.
Attached Thumbnails
I'm back!-188986_1594226097673_1296553482_31279864_3562880_n.jpg  

Old 03-14-2011, 07:24 PM
Serf

Quote:
Originally Posted by egalecki View Post
Wow. My sourdough went from a few bubbles to waaay active! I came out yesterday morning after feeding it again the night before to find it all over the counter.

so this is what I baked today, in the wfo. All sourdough.
Those are gorgeous.
Old 03-15-2011, 12:04 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: I'm back!

Elizabeth,
how long did you leave your starter without feeding it?
I wonder just how long it can be left and still be OK!

Neill

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neillís Pompeiii #1

Neillís kitchen underway

Old 03-15-2011, 05:37 AM
Master Builder

Great looking loaves. Is that a straight white sourdough or some variation? I like to add a small amount (10%) of W/W or Rye.

My dad is coming for the weekend so this will be a good time to kick up my oven. I need to learn how to cook other things the only thing I have cooked so far is pizza and bread. Perhaps experimenting cooking things should not be done when company is hungry and waiting.

I had a good friend over for the first pizza in my oven...the thing stuck to the floor then burnt to a crisp. What else are god friends for... to be witness to your failures...and successes.
Old 03-15-2011, 09:30 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Neill- I'm not sure how long it had been, but nearly a year, I'd say. It had a little bit of liquid on top and I just stirred it in and fed it. It was sluggish the first feeding, but by the second, it was very active.

Faith- It does have a bit of whole wheat flour in it. It's a new recipe I found that you let it go overnight on the counter. Nice tang, and easy to shape and has a nice crumb.

Old 03-15-2011, 09:32 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Oh, and for some other things to make in the oven- pulled pork is good, I made tuscan beans in it the other day (soaked white beans, pancetta, lots of garlic, rosemary and olive oil in a Spanish bean pot I got for Christmas) and after bread yesterday I roasted 7 heads of garlic- popped the cloves out and now they're in the fridge in oil. I think I feel a garlic loaf coming on...

Old 03-15-2011, 04:05 PM
Laborer

That's great looking bread. Would you care to share the recipe?

Karl