Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Hearth Bread and Flatbread (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f11/)
-   -   I need a new mixer suggestion (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f11/i-need-new-mixer-suggestion-19263.html)

EricU 04-24-2013 09:01 PM

I need a new mixer suggestion

I just stripped the gears on my very old (20+) Kitchen aid mixer.

I don't know if I am doing something wrong all of a sudden, but it is the second time in about two months after no problems mixing my dough two to three times a week for the last couple of years.

What is the best mixer to buy?
  1. Another Kitchenaid? Big as possible?
  2. Some other brand?
  3. Should I just have mine fixed one more time? Maybe I got a bad gear or ???

I do have various attachments, pasta roller, ice cream maker (my kids love that one!) for the kitchenaid.

Like I said before, I mix some kind of dough (mostly sourdough) about three times a week. My amounts are usually around 1,800 to 2,300 gms total (Flour, water and salt)

Thanks for any suggestions, Eric.

Les 04-24-2013 09:19 PM

Re: I need a new mixer suggestion

Eric, I bought a new KA 6 qt mixer a few years back and I am not very happy. I had to return the first one because graphite was dropping from the gear box. Support was great but the replacement overheats on 2-3 batches of dough. In hind sight, I wished I bought an old Hobart and had it rebuilt. Good luck on your quest but I would stay away from KA.

brickie in oz 04-24-2013 09:27 PM

I had a KA to start with and it seriously lacked power.
Ive since bought a Chinese copy of a 10 litre Hobart and this thing has got some serious grunt. :)

Les 04-24-2013 10:04 PM

Al - if you don't mind, what did you have to pay? I was in China just last week but a mixer was furthest thing from my mind.

brickie in oz 04-24-2013 10:24 PM

I think I paid about A$600 for the knock off, I put the KA on ebay and got A$400 so it all seemed to have paid for itself. :)

Also, new KA's sell here for A$700, thats for the big one.

Faith In Virginia 04-25-2013 03:39 AM

Look for a Univex 12 Quart it is made in NH and is a work horse. Parts are still available. I have a 30 quart and a 20 quart and I feel they are better then Hobart.

REE REE B 04-25-2013 02:51 PM

I would get a new kitchen aid they are great love mine

Les 04-25-2013 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by REE REE B (Post 151065)
I would get a new kitchen aid they are great love mine

Ree Ree, have you made 3 batches of dough in a row? Mine shut down because of over heating - not fun when you are getting ready for a party...

REE REE B 04-25-2013 04:06 PM

Yes I have for a super bowl party, I use 00 flour what type of flour are you using?

EricU 04-25-2013 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Les (Post 151071)
Ree Ree, have you made 3 batches of dough in a row? Mine shut down because of over heating - not fun when you are getting ready for a party...

I think my troubles started when I started upping my mixing times up to about 12 minutes.

I looked over some off the commercial units and they weigh 300lbs???

Is that correct for a 12 qt model?

Eric