Old 04-25-2013, 06:00 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: I need a new mixer suggestion

Quote:
Originally Posted by REE REE B View Post
Yes I have for a super bowl party, I use 00 flour what type of flour are you using?
I use the stuff you guy's sold me, Caputo I normally use K/A but for special occasions I break out the good stuff.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:17 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I talked to one of our local bakers a while ago and he is prepared to sell me ready mixed dough done to my specs for A$2 per kilogram.

Sounds like a good option if having a big party.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 04-26-2013, 04:55 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: I need a new mixer suggestion

Hi Eric,

Quote:
I looked over some off the commercial units and they weigh 300lbs???
Is that correct for a 12 qt model?
They are not designed to be lifted in and out of a cupboard but you have no option if you want reliability and performance. Your KA's I feel are more domestic suited and not for the hard yakka that dough kneeding requires.
I, like Al, bought a Chinese 10 quart mixer (it had all the whisks etc. but no dough hook so I made 2, a straight and a spiral), used it a dozen times and then found a broken 20 quart Hobart for $50. A day later I had it welded, stripped and repainted and now I use nothing else.
Do a search on the forum as this topic has been well documented before.

Cheers.

Neill

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neillís Pompeiii #1

Neillís kitchen underway

Old 04-28-2013, 03:46 AM
Master Builder

I made sure the pantry in my new house could fit my 20qt.....wouldn't be without it

having said that....if it broke down I'd use the ready mixed stuff for big parties.

Old 04-28-2013, 05:02 PM
Apprentice

I am looking for a used Hobart or similar 12 quart unit and will put it in the garage. I have a nice sized pantry, but my nephew has converted it to a bedroom (long story) so the garage it is! I don't think it will be too bad as it will be only for mixing bread dough about three times a week and the weekend pizza dough.

I will get the old KA fixed and use it for the less demanding mixing chores.

Thanks for the help, Eric.

Old 04-28-2013, 06:47 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricU View Post
I am looking for a used Hobart or similar 12 quart unit and will put it in the garage. I have a nice sized pantry, but my nephew has converted it to a bedroom (long story) so the garage it is! I don't think it will be too bad as it will be only for mixing bread dough about three times a week and the weekend pizza dough.

I will get the old KA fixed and use it for the less demanding mixing chores.

Thanks for the help, Eric.
Eric - for grins I priced used Hobarts - damn, not cheap. Brickie may be on to something with the knock off - $600 seems like a deal.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 04-28-2013, 07:39 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les View Post
Eric - for grins I priced used Hobarts - damn, not cheap. Brickie may be on to something with the knock off - $600 seems like a deal.
  • What brand are the knock offs?
  • Where do you get one?
  • Do the attachments all fit the same?
  • If they break, are parts available?
  • What are the winning lotto numbers? (then I wont need to worry about the cost of a new mixer!!!!)
Thanks, Eric.

Old 04-28-2013, 11:46 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

This is the one I bought off Ebay.

Last edited by brickie in oz; 04-28-2013 at 11:48 PM.
Old 04-29-2013, 12:35 AM
Master Builder

There are knocks offs current and knock offs old (eg 20 years old plus ..... second hand)

I can only speak of old.....picked up a couple old ones, over 20years old. They were complete or I could have missing parts machined up. They are bullet proof so basically new bearings, seals and food grade grease and they are fine. If ones wants to use attachments there are a number of PTO or output shaft types so sticking with a common one across multiple brands makes it easier to get 2nd hand.

Old 10-16-2013, 02:53 PM
Apprentice

Current Update: My wife surprised me on my birthday last May with a used Hobart HL-6 stand mixer that fits on my counter top.

This thing is awesome and so far has been flawless. Hit the "Like" button!

Way better than the KA it replaced. Use it about 3 times a week on average.