Old 12-07-2009, 11:51 AM
Apprentice

Default Re: Hamelman's Poolish Ciabatta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino_Pizza View Post
I would think it would be easy to find those exact recipes on line. Let me know if you can't.

Thanks, Dino
Well I did a search and found the book on Amazon. I feel like a dork, I just bought the book a couple weeks ago and didn't realize that was whom you were getting your recipe from.

I'm new to baking bread and have allot to learn. It would be great to find someone willing to teach me. But until then I will just do it and hopefully get some good bread out of it.

Tom
Old 12-07-2009, 12:35 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hey Tom!

Don't feel bad! Once you have more than about three bread books they all start running together and it is almost impossible to remember what you saw where.

Ciabatta is an interesting bread. Really easy to make and yet really hard and challenging to make well as it tends to be sticky and bland and sticky and delicate and sticky and runny and sticky...and sticky!

Enjoy!
Jay
Old 12-26-2009, 10:03 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I'm with you Jay, I'm not happy with my ciabatta dough unless it is UNCOMFORTABLY wet. Then I know I'm at least in proper hydration range. It's actually the same for pizza dough come to think about it.

I made 8 loaves of ciabatta on xmas eve to give away as gifts to friends and family. I've never given home made, baked things before as gifts so this was a new thing for me and lots of fun too! People loved it .

Being so busy with family over on xmas eve, I made the bulk dough the night before, then in the fridge overnight. I got up at 5 am on xmas eve to bring it out to room temp, shape, proof & bake before anyone arrived. I started wrapping them before I thought of taking pics so here are some.

I did two weird things but from the looks and taste, it was somehow right:
1) I forgot to trim the yeast since it was bulk fermented overnight and I assumed they had over-rose but they didn't (but it still was a mistake)
2) I used 20%-25% of my half-year old starter in the poolish 1 day ahead and am so happy with the outcome, I don't see any reason not to do it again.

Of course, everyone I gave a loaf to asked if it was made in my WFO and I told them no but now that I've got the process down, I'll try this soon.

happy holidays, Dino
Attached Thumbnails
Hamelman's Poolish Ciabatta-dscn3941.jpg  

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Oven Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 11:39 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I agree Dino. I think hydration and retarding are the two most important factors for ciabatta and pizza dough and focaccia. But i don't always go especially wet on pizza. I will for me but it depends on my mood. Sort of like photographing a wedding. I would only do it for close friends. I would never accept that much pressure and pain to do it for an enemy! (Okay, we pizza dough isn't that bad but...busting my butt for people who won't know the difference is not high on my list).

Happy holidays!
Jay