Old 03-05-2009, 03:33 AM
Serf

Default Re: Hamelman's Poolish Ciabatta

First, salt definitely inhibits yeast, but not in a bad way. Whenever one type of dough is moving faster than all the rest, I usually find that it is because I forgot to add the salt. I've tried adding it at the beginning of the mix and part way through, but I haven't paid attention enough to make a judgment. One thing I have found is that the dough seems noticeably more sticky (not necessarily wetter or looser) before the salt is added. I suspect it's also doing something chemically to affect the protein structure. But anyway...

We use Hamelman's biga ciabatta, but with 3% olive oil, too. I add the yeast to the water, then olive oil, then mix in flour and salt, adding the biga in chunks as it comes together. After the initial mix, it sits for around a half hour, while I get everything else ready for the night (prepping other mixes, collecting wood for the fire). This rest has helped with a lot of our looser breads, seems to give a bit more structure with less mixing. This ciabatta tends to come out best when the dough is troublingly wet. After the final mixing, it goes straight in the fridge, but still gets 2 folds, roughly an hour each, but I let myself get behind schedule because it's in the fridge. After the second fold, it stays in the fridge until morning. Then, we come in, pull it out and let it warm up for 30 minutes or so while we tend to the oven, then divide it and proof. Coming from the fridge seems to be very helpful. I think it's easier to divide it without deflation, and (this is a good thing for us) it takes a lot longer to proof, so your window to load is longer, and I think it holds up to the loading better, too. In the winter, we proof for 2-3 hours, and it comes out very nice. I'll get pictures one day, but it's a very, very open crumb.

All in all, consider a rest in the mix (I think it makes the second mix more effective), don't be afraid to make it too wet, build strength through folding, and use the fridge. How's this for a t-shirt:

Real bakers put their bulk in the fridge.
Old 05-10-2009, 08:11 PM
Master Builder

I didn't think I should start a whole new thread for a couple of photos so I'll add them here...although it is based on the Reinhart formula...using biga...and we opt for no olive oil or malt...although they do tend to change the crust color a bit...it is about a 75% hydration...these hit the hearth at a temperature of about 475F...took about 20 minutes...we usually don't return from our farmer's market booth with anything leftover but this week's market was a drag...lots of rain and thunderstorms and the university had graduation so it ended up to be very slow...lucky for us though as we got to eat some of our own bread!...don't be alarmed by the Wonder bag in the backround...hot dog rolls...we haven't figured out how to make them yet...working on it though!
All the best from a soggy Mississippi!
Dutch
Attached Thumbnails
Hamelman's Poolish Ciabatta-ciabatta-1.jpg   Hamelman's Poolish Ciabatta-ciabatta-2.jpg  
Old 05-11-2009, 06:44 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Looks great. Sounds like we use very similar formulas - no oil, no malt. I ususally go to 80% and 85 when I feel adventurous but...75 is certainly easier to deal with!

Looks great!
Jay
Old 05-11-2009, 02:43 PM
Master Builder

Jay
You would have to feel adventurous to go to 85%...and work with a very sure hand...have to have really good flour too...our final dough prep is about 83% hydration but using a biga that is about 68% I estimate the final % in the neighborhood of 75...it was fun to eat some of our own bread for once in a while...had it dipped in olive oil with oven roasted red peppers, locatelli romano, some crushed red pepper...MMM!
Thanks and all the best!
Dutch
Old 05-19-2009, 05:11 AM
Laborer

Hi Dutch,

The Ciabatta looks great. Beautiful looking crumb.
I was thinking of doing some on the weekend and I had a question - Any reason why you put the bread in at 475 F and not 500 or 550?

my wood oven build:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-23-2009, 07:15 PM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salv B View Post
Hi Dutch,

The Ciabatta looks great. Beautiful looking crumb.
I was thinking of doing some on the weekend and I had a question - Any reason why you put the bread in at 475 F and not 500 or 550?
Thanks Salv!
Quite a simple reason actually...those were baked for our Farmer's Market booth and I think there was a total of about 120 pounds of bread baked that day and the ciabatta were about the 5th load in line...I actually have found that the primary difference in the temps is really bake time...we have baked our ciabatta as low as 425 and seen little change in quality...although they do like the hotter temps...
All the best!
Dutch
Old 05-25-2009, 12:48 AM
Laborer

Hi Dutch,

Thanks for the comments. Wow - 120 pounds of bread is quite an effort.
I baked a measly 5 loaves of Ciabatta over the weekend at about 540 F and they came out great with a nice reddish crust.

my wood oven build:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-27-2009, 10:53 AM
Apprentice

Default ciabatta with poolish starter

this is a favorite of my wife's I prefer wild yeast bread much tastier
Attached Thumbnails
Hamelman's Poolish Ciabatta-dscf1062.jpg   Hamelman's Poolish Ciabatta-dscf1063.jpg   Hamelman's Poolish Ciabatta-dscf1071-1.jpg   Hamelman's Poolish Ciabatta-dscf1075-2.jpg  
Old 06-03-2009, 07:21 AM
Apprentice

here is the wild yeast starter bread I made this past weekend 20lb at 575f did burn a few on the bottom from the hot spots on the floor I must learn to balance the heat after the coals are taken out let it rest for a longer time,baked a second batch at 475f ciabatta bread not pleased with carmelization browning, next time I will place some hot coals back in oven for more heat and bake with the coals on one side of the oven I think it will help with carmelization any suggestion James,no pics of ciabatta bread it wa good but no browning
Attached Thumbnails
Hamelman's Poolish Ciabatta-dscf1179.jpg   Hamelman's Poolish Ciabatta-dscf1148.jpg   Hamelman's Poolish Ciabatta-dscf1151.jpg   Hamelman's Poolish Ciabatta-dscf1181.jpg   Hamelman's Poolish Ciabatta-dscf1149.jpg  

Old 06-03-2009, 07:29 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Great looking bread Mavano!

Maybe you can try venting the oven sooner to get better crust coloration. The last image looks like great color, is that a different recipe?

Drake