Old 02-07-2009, 10:00 AM
Apprentice

Default Re: Hamelman's Poolish Ciabatta

James
I am the farthest thing from an expert but in a rustic bread class I took the salt was added later in the cycle. Perhaps you could try mixing in the salt after the rise then make the loves and do a second rise. This is what we did.....salt inhibits yeast

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-07-2009, 11:31 AM
Apprentice

well this is what I found on this recipe web site EASY & DELICIOUS RECIPES ON E-RCPS
made a very good ciabatta ,A bit time consuming but well worthed
Old 02-07-2009, 08:52 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

First I've ever heard that the salt inhibits the yeast in bread dough. I can imagine in large concentrations that is likely the case, but I wonder if that is really true in such small percentages as those found in the flour to salt ratio in bread. (?) Certainly, I don't remember Reinhart, nor any of the authors of my bread books saying anything about it.

I'm curious what others think about this idea. Interesting thought.

-
Old 02-08-2009, 01:49 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I've read several times that you can (should?) mix the salt in after all the other ingredients, though not as late as after the first rise.

But I find it really irritating to get the salt evenly distrubuted throughout the dough - its all gritty and I keep worrying hat there'll be pockets of salt and large unsalted areas in the bread. So I just don't bother with that bit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 02-08-2009, 03:14 PM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frances View Post
I've read several times that you can (should?) mix the salt in after all the other ingredients, though not as late as after the first rise.

But I find it really irritating to get the salt evenly distrubuted throughout the dough - its all gritty and I keep worrying hat there'll be pockets of salt and large unsalted areas in the bread. So I just don't bother with that bit.
I agree with Frances, certainly not as late as after primary fermentation. The salt does give the yeast some trouble but, not really so significantly. Generally we mix the dry ingredients together and then gradually add them to the liquid ingredients. I believe CJim adds the salt just after the dough has come together in the mixer. Not a bad idea to do that. I feel what you are trying to avoid is having the yeasts and salt fully incorporated into the hydrated flour.
Best
Dutch
Old 02-09-2009, 06:25 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Dutch,

I started adding the salt once the other ingredients are incorporated in the mixer but before the dough forms a ball because we make so many wild yeast breads here. In my experience, wild yeast is more susceptible to direct contact with salt than the commercial variety. Even so, the practice developed into a habit and is now part of our mis en place routine for all breads. Can't hurt, after all.

Jim
Old 02-10-2009, 10:33 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Good answer. I can believe that wild yeasts are more susceptible to salt concentrations in dough.

Sounds very similar to wild yeast fermentation in wines. The alcohol produced by fermentation inhibits and eventually kills/inactivates the wild yeasts at a much lower alcohol levels than commercial wine yeasts do.

-
Old 02-11-2009, 12:12 PM
Apprentice

I'am sorry people I've been trying to post some pictures of the ciabatta bread but no matter what I do it does not work as you can see I posted a picture of a football player I dont know how but did it twice must learn how to .sorry everyone
Old 02-11-2009, 01:49 PM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAVANO View Post
I'am sorry people I've been trying to post some pictures of the ciabatta bread but no matter what I do it does not work as you can see I posted a picture of a football player I dont know how but did it twice must learn how to .sorry everyone
Mavano
You should be able to click the manage attachments button on the additonal options area on your message screen and then browse the photos you wish to post. Unless the photos are too large, in which case you will have to make them smaller using some type of editing software or...you could email them to yourself and allow your email program to make the pictures smaller.
Hope this helps!
Dutch
Old 02-11-2009, 01:55 PM
Apprentice

O.K. I started http://picasaweb.google.com/mavano.f...eat=directlink check out this ciabatta from this site EASY & DELICIOUS RECIPES ON E-RCPS

Last edited by MAVANO; 02-11-2009 at 02:08 PM.