Old 10-25-2008, 03:57 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: flour types

They talked about smoked salt- I've done that at home at the same time I smoked garlic bulbs. I set the bulbs in the salt. It was pretty good- very nice on meats. The slight garlic taste only made it better..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-08-2008, 07:45 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: flour types

Well, I made pizza with my caputo, and it was wonderful. I haven't tried it with the White Lily AP, and I'm not going to.

I used it first to do something I'm very familiar with- pie crust. It's weird stuff. I dislike it heartily for this purpose. It didn't mix very well. After resting in the fridge, it didn't roll well. Kept breaking and had a strange texture. My husband's birthday pie was ok, but the crust was not up to my usual high standards. If it was that friable in pie dough, I shudder to think how it would be in pizza crust.

I can see that it might do extremely well in biscuits- they have a much higher hydration than pie dough, and you want a different texture in a biscuit than you do in either bread or pizza. But I doubt that the friable characteristic I found using it in pie dough would change in high hydration pizza dough. You'd never get it stretched.

I do have a small bag of the Big Spring Mill flour, and I'll make pie with it too- see how it rolls. I suspect it will have the same problem, since around here, it's what people use to make biscuits almost as much as the White Lily...

So, I may end up making a lot of ham biscuits over Christmas...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.