Old 05-29-2009, 08:14 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: First go at sourdough

yes, it's the transitional multigrain hearth loaf, I think. Very good.

Great job finding it at the library! That's a great way to decide if you want it- it is a pretty spendy book.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-29-2009, 01:15 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

The breads I like best in that book are the volkornbrot and the spent grain bread. The latter is a GREAT idea. Forces you to create a relationship with a microbrewery (and how can that be bad!) in order to get the spent grain. I have never yet had a micrbrewer decline swapping some spent grain for a loaf of bread (if the grain was available).

Good Luck Salv!
Jay
Old 05-29-2009, 03:24 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hi Salv!

Here is a photo of two loaves I did today with two different slashings - the one on the right is my "proprietary" "leaf" slash that sort of looks like a tree (because my last name is Forrest). They are both very slightly overdone by my taste but really close. The loaf on the left is IMO slightly underproofed (more vigorous rip) and the one on the left is slightly overproofed (I have to do them back to back when I use cloches for I make 4 loaves and only have capacity for two...)

The only thing I am critical of is that the crust is just a touch darker than I want. (NOTE: My baking for a restaurant led me to try a lower temp and longer time and I will go back to a higher temp and shorter time - I want the flaps to be dark - even darker than these - but the crust to be lighter so...)

These are straight double expansion sourdough with about 7% whole wheat, rest is bread flour. And they have a great crust!

I have been meaning to send you some photos and finally got to it!

Be Well!
Jay
Attached Thumbnails
First go at sourdough-dsc_0084.jpg  
Old 05-30-2009, 03:25 PM
Laborer

Hi Jay,

Thanks for the pics. The loaves look great - I like the proprietary slash design - very creative! I see what you mean about liking the bread nice and dark - and with only 7% wholewheat.

my wood oven build:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-01-2009, 06:58 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hi Salv!

Two more pictures. The second is a photo of a Reinhart's Spent Grain bread and the other is a close up of the rip on a loaf that shows the color variation I like. Medium crust (just a tad dark in this picture) the rip showing lighter colors, and the flap on the slits showing the darkest color.

Enjoy!
Jay
Attached Thumbnails
First go at sourdough-rip.jpg   First go at sourdough-spent-grain.jpg  
Old 06-02-2009, 06:37 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

My husband has just announced that he wants to start brewing beer- so now I can try some of the spent grain breads! So exciting.

What do you use to slash, Jay? I don't have a lame, I have been using a really sharp serrated knife (it's really a tomato knife). I don't know if a lame would give better results or just be another thing to ruin loaves with until I get the hang of it!

Old 06-02-2009, 06:58 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hi Elizabeth!

Your slash comments brought a big grin! Great way to start the day!

First, I have actually considered making beer just to get the grain. The bread is IMO simply to die for - the best whole grain bread (conventional...not rye) I have ever had. So cheer him on! I am jealous. It is a pain to have to pull off the swaps for none of the microbrewers are geographically convenient.

As an aside, you only need a cup or so of grain at a time as I recall and you will have LOTS from the beer. Reinhart says to freeze the extra. So I would suggest portioning it into batch size packets and freezing it that way. Should store for months with no problems.

RE: lame. I bought a lame from the San Francisco Baking Institute. It is a steel wand with a curved tip that lets you hold the blades either curved (for making thin flaps like you want on baguettes and most artisanal loaves or straight (well almost straight) for making vertical slashes. I like it because it uses regular double edge razor blades which are readily available. King Arthur sells a fancy plastic one that uses a special blade that I don't think can be replaced. And...they do get dull. So I recommend the SFBI. I have bought almost all of my proofing baskets and such from them. Highly recommended.

While one can do nicely with a really sharp, serrated knife, I think the lame gives better results - especially on baguettes. IMO you want to use the curved position and slash SHALLOW at about a 20-30 degree angle into the bread. By keeping the slash shallow the ear won't fall back down on the loaf and will lift as the bread rises and create an ear that will be somewhat darker and more caramelized than the other crust.

Hope that helps!

Still chuckling!
Jay
Old 06-09-2009, 05:17 AM
Laborer

Quote:
Originally Posted by texassourdough View Post
Hi Salv!

Two more pictures. The second is a photo of a Reinhart's Spent Grain bread and the other is a close up of the rip on a loaf that shows the color variation I like. Medium crust (just a tad dark in this picture) the rip showing lighter colors, and the flap on the slits showing the darkest color.

Enjoy!
Jay
Hi Jay, did you do the loaf in the close up picture in the WFO? Looks very tasty and crunchy! I baked some sourdough loaves on the weekend with about 20 percent wholewheat. They reached 209 F and came out much lighter - heres a pic (its the one on the right - the other darker loaf was a walnut and raisin also with 20 percent wholewheat).

First go at sourdough-fb-img_3336.jpg

my wood oven build:
Old 06-09-2009, 05:25 AM
Laborer

Quote:
Originally Posted by egalecki View Post
My husband has just announced that he wants to start brewing beer- so now I can try some of the spent grain breads! So exciting.

What do you use to slash, Jay? I don't have a lame, I have been using a really sharp serrated knife (it's really a tomato knife). I don't know if a lame would give better results or just be another thing to ruin loaves with until I get the hang of it!
I was using a sharp serrated knife until recently. I ended up buying a lame through an Australian supplier I found on the internet and it has made all the difference. I found it a lot easier to make the slashes without putting any excessive pressure on the loaf. I also found I was gettting cleaner and deeper slashes - although I still need plenty of practice to get the technique right. I reckon it is well worth the modest cost to get one.

my wood oven build:
Old 06-09-2009, 06:32 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

obviously I need a lame. I'd also like a couple more banettons, so...

I'm having an odd problem with my last sourdough projects- it's as though the dough is being weakened. I can't explain it well, but when you look at the proofing loaves, they go from having a nice tight skin on them to sort of looking oatmealy. I cover them with bags to keep them from drying out, but I think this would happen even if I didn't. The loaves are also more sour than they have been.

Is this change because of it being summer? Or is my starter going wonky? It looks fine and when I expand it it seems ok. I've not changed my recipes at all. I usually keep my starter at 100%- 2 oz starter, 2 oz water, 2 oz flour. Do the ratios need to change as the weather gets warmer? Or does the ferment/ bulk rise need to change? And how in the @#$% do you know this stuff?

On a less frustrating note, I made Hamelman's golden raisin and pecan loaves the other day. I had to bake indoors AGAIN because no joke, we got 5 inches of rain LAST WEEK. Anyway, the loaves were terrific. I did toast the pecans just a little, but you have to watch that you don't heat them up too much.

Fabulous toasted with cream cheese.