Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Hearth Bread and Flatbread (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f11/)
-   -   Fan Pattern (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f11/fan-pattern-6040.html)

james 01-31-2009 12:09 PM

Fan Pattern

1 Attachment(s)
This one tore a little when I was taking it out of the banneton (I'll use more flour next time with a wet dough), and it looked like the start of a fan pattern -- so I went for it. The dough was 800gr (a big loaf), 200gr KA GP and 600 KA whole wheat (no rye, oats or grains), and 70%+ water.

The wetter doughs definitely result in a lower loaf -- though the crumb is very moist and has lots of holes.

Enjoy your weekend everyone.
James

egalecki 01-31-2009 06:04 PM

Re: Fan Pattern

Very nice. I like the fan shape- great way to disguise a problem! I am impressed with the color you get. Was it regular KA whole wheat or the white whole wheat? I think I get better color with the regular.

gjbingham 01-31-2009 10:33 PM

Nice work in my book. I'll bet it tasted great! Perhaps a banneton with a fern shape inside might recreate this pretty loaf every time.

james 01-31-2009 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by egalecki (Post 50100)
I am impressed with the color you get. Was it regular KA whole wheat or the white whole wheat? I think I get better color with the regular.

Regular KA whole wheat. I pretty much only blend in the white whole wheat with other flours -- I figure if I'm going to make whole wheat bread, it might as well be the real deal. I think it does give better color.
James

Xabia Jim 02-01-2009 02:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by james (Post 50122)
Regular KA whole wheat. I pretty much only blend in the white whole wheat with other flours -- I figure if I'm going to make whole wheat bread, it might as well be the real deal. I think it does give better color.
James

Health wise, IMHO anything that says only "wheat" should be suspect marketing...unless it say's 100% whole wheat, then it's good stuff!

egalecki 02-01-2009 01:44 PM

KA white whole wheat IS 100% whole wheat. Just from a different variety of wheat. Texture's a little different too, I'd say it's milled differently.

I've been mixing it when I do a multigrain too- I just like the plain whole wheat's looks, even though I don't think it rises quite as well.

james 02-01-2009 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by egalecki (Post 50157)
KA white whole wheat IS 100% whole wheat. Just from a different variety of wheat. Texture's a little different too, I'd say it's milled differently.

I've been mixing it when I do a multigrain too- I just like the plain whole wheat's looks, even though I don't think it rises quite as well.

Exactly!
James