Old 08-27-2008, 07:13 AM
Peasant

Default Re: Extra pizza dough

Use the extra pizza dough to make better tasting pizza dough. Here's what I do. I prefer to refrigerate my pizza dough for a minimum of two to three days before making pizza because I think the dough acquires a better flavor as it matures. I stretch and fold the dough once a day for the first two days. To speed this maturation up a bit, I have begun adding approximately 8 ounces of leftover dough from the previous batch of pizza dough, cut up into pieces, to a new two pound batch of dough. The dough stays good for a surprisingly long time in the fridge - up to 5 to 7 days in my experience.

Extra frozen extra pizza dough can also be used to add flavor to new dough. My experience with frozen dough it that it doesn't puff up as nicely around the rim as dough that hasn't been frozen, and I think this is a better use for it.
Ron
Old 08-27-2008, 08:49 AM
Journeyman

THis is all great advice...

But most of all, I'm sitting here thinking how great it would have been to grow up in Switzerland! Home for lunch, mom always there...sounds good to me.

See ALL of my pictures here:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-28-2008, 06:07 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Sure... unless you're the Mom!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 08-31-2008, 07:18 PM
Master Builder

I had two extra pizza dough balls I forgot in the fridge from last weekend and remembered them last night just before dinner. I pushed, pulled and stretched them into roughly rectangular shapes about a centimeter thick (that's between a quarter- and a half-inch), slathered them with olive oil, added some chopped rosemary and coarse sea salt and - since the oven was not in use - cooked them for about 15 minutes (maybe?) on the BBQ, flipping them once.
They were delicious and disappeared fast!