Old 10-08-2008, 10:57 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Cook's Illustrated - Sept/Oct 08

I wanted the recipe but couldn't look at it on their site without being a registered member.
So I signed up for a free issue which I can extend to one year subscription.

Use this code if you want a one year subscription for a bit less than $20.00. (19.97 i think.) PO3A222 Enter it in the promo spot.

Then, if you want, you can sign up for a one year online membership. (only $15 if you sign up right after your magazine subscription) (It's normally $35)

Then you can access everything, including the recipe.
After watching a few videos, I think I will be a permanent subscriber.

James, I hope it was OK posting this info here. If not, please delete this post.

Thanks

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My costs:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My pics:

Old 10-08-2008, 11:15 AM
Brick Oven Merchant

Dave,

Take some pictures and let us know what temperature you are going to start your bake at. I'll do the same.
James

Old 10-08-2008, 11:20 AM
Brick Oven Merchant

I think Cook's Illustrated is great. I used to buy it here and there on the stand, and signed up for the subscription a few issues ago. I am consistently making at least 3-4 of their recipes each issue, and a number of them are now a part of the family repertoire. The creamy mashed potatoes are very good.

A big thumbs up from me. And to think, they could do focaccia dough. :-)

James

Old 10-08-2008, 11:58 AM
Journeyman

I've subscribed to Cooks Illustrated for several years, and absolutely love the publication. But be forewarned, everyone, that they have a VERY aggressive and annoying marketing department. There is NO way to take advantage of any of their cookbook offers, special offers, coupons that come with the magazine, etc., without being signed up for their cookbook-of-the-month style book club. And then you have to do battle to get off that list and get them to stop sending you things to "preview for your convenience." You can't even buy things through their website without being forced into signing up for that crap.

Now, I have the highest respect for the publication and even the books they put out. But I hate the aggressive, forceful marketing so much that I no longer take advantage of any of the pre-publication discounts or special offers. I'd much rather pay an extra $15 at Barnes and Noble than do battle with their marketing department again.
Old 10-08-2008, 12:37 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by james View Post
Dave,

Take some pictures and let us know what temperature you are going to start your bake at. I'll do the same.
James
I'll do it James.

Should I make the dough on Friday night so I that it can sit in the fridge until Saturday evening?

My costs:

My pics:

Old 10-08-2008, 04:06 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

It works in a single day if you want to do it that way.

3 minutes to mix
20 minutes to autolyse
5-10 minutes to knead
2 1/2 hours for bulk fermentation (it is bubbly and frothy)
10 minutes to proof in the baking sheet
20 minutes to bake

Boy, that really sounds easy. I'm going to have to do it again. :-)

James

Old 10-08-2008, 04:13 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

Here are a couple of thoughts from Hamelman:

60% hydration or less is a "dry" dough
72% or more is a "very wet dough"

That's interesting. Until a few years ago, I would not have called a 59% dough "dry".

Also, he notes that the wetter the dough the more slowly the gluten develops, and in a very wet dough gluten development is more difficult.

I think that is the rational behind the 5-10 minute kneading on this recipe at a high speed. Most of Hamelman's breads call for 3 minutes on low (1) to mix and 3-4 minutes on low (2) to knead.

All very interesting.
James

Old 10-08-2008, 04:38 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thanks.

It looks great!

Maybe a little mozzarella or muenster on top.... just at the end for browning!

My costs:

My pics:

Old 10-08-2008, 04:41 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

Yeah. Or fresh Rosemary.

I think about halfway would do it. If you do it at the start, it will burn, but your oven won't be has hot as it would be for pizza.

James

Old 10-08-2008, 08:47 PM
Apprentice

Or carmelized onions, blue cheese and walnuts. I had that for the first time this summer and it was fantastic