Old 07-23-2008, 10:20 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: Book recomendations

Paula Figoni "How baking works" - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Frances, just in case you didn't seen that post. It's not exactly (well, exactly not) what you are looking but this book worth.
Old 07-24-2008, 12:45 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Amazon.com: Nancy Silverton's Breads from the La Brea Bakery: Recipes for the Connoisseur: Nancy Silverton: Books

This book is what got me started on the whole wood-fired thing. I started baking her breads and was looking for a way to improve...

All wild yeast recipes...
Old 07-25-2008, 06:21 AM
Master Builder

I'll second that vote for the La Brea book; an excellent resource.

And Frances, this comes a little late, but your breads look AMAZING!! I can't wait to start baking in my WFO using recipes from all these great books.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-25-2008, 06:24 AM
Master Builder

By the way, the La Brea book has the best sourdough waffle recipe I (and my family, and friends, and their friends...) have ever tasted. It also has a sourdough bagel recipe, but I haven't tried that yet.

Old 07-30-2008, 11:39 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbhansen View Post
By the way, the La Brea book has the best sourdough waffle recipe I (and my family, and friends, and their friends...) have ever tasted. It also has a sourdough bagel recipe, but I haven't tried that yet.
Hey!

I've scoured the internet for a recipe for waffles like my granma made in the rhineland - the result is I'm getting fat but haven't found the real mckoy yet.

The best I had so far used sour cream...

I would be interested in your recipe ingredients, if you would be kind enough to list them!

Cheers,

LMH

(My oven dwells at Picasa Web Albums - carioca - Forno_del_gallo )
Old 07-31-2008, 06:20 AM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by carioca View Post
I would be interested in your recipe ingredients, if you would be kind enough to list them!
Since it's available on-line anyway, here it is:

Heat the following in a pan until the butter is melted and then let cool to room temperature.

4 oz (1/2 cup or 115 g) butter
8 oz (1 cup or 225 g) milk

Add the milk-butter mixture to:

9 oz (about a cup or 255g) white starter
1 tsp salt
1 Tbsp (packed) brown sugar
6 oz (about 1 1/2 cups or 170 g) all purpose flour

Mix these together to form a thick batter, cover the bowl tightly with plastic wrap and let stand at room temperature for 8-14 hours. If you do this before going to bed, you’ll have the batter ready for breakfast the next day.

Preheat your waffle iron for 10-15 minutes.

Uncover the batter and whisk in 2 large eggs and 1/4 tsp baking soda. Pour 1/2 to 3/4 cups of batter on the hot waffle iron and close the lid. Let cook for 3-5 minutes until golden brown and crisp.

Old 08-01-2008, 01:57 AM
Journeyman

Thanks a lot, dbhansen! Will try this at the weekend... one thing that puzzles me is the inclusion of a rising agent (baking soda) at the final stage - I see this type of thinking a lot, as if people somehow don't trust the 'natural' stuff, i.e. sourdough :-)

As regards books, I concur heartily with canuckjim's reccommendation of the Leader book, Local breads! It has taken over, for me, from Reinhart's books (which nevertheless I also study a lot..)

Cheers,

LMH