Old 08-29-2009, 12:06 PM
Journeyman

Default Re: Bagels?

I finally got around to building a door, and tried making bagels in the WFO this morning! I had temperatures around 575 this morning, but my hamhanded steaming (really need a sprayer that works) took the temps down to about 475, which turned out to be perfect for the bagels. I used this recipe:

Melinda Lee

I've made it before in the conventional oven, so I was able to compare the taste. It's a *little* salty for my taste, but still absolutely delicious.

Yum! What a nice tradition--pizza on Friday night, bagels on Saturday morning.
Old 08-29-2009, 05:31 PM
Master Builder

Nikki, those look outstanding! I'll have to try that. In your photos, it looks like you have some baking on the hearth and some in a sheet pan. Did you appreciate a difference?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-29-2009, 08:47 PM
Journeyman

I tried half the batch on a baking sheet, half directly on the hearth. There wasn't an appreciable difference in the flavor or rise between them (unless you count the ash stuck to the ones directly on the hearth). One also got stuck to the hearth, though that was probably as a result of getting the hearth too wet.

My verdict: put them on a baking sheet. Less trouble and just as good.
Old 08-30-2009, 07:21 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Nikki,

We make a lot of bagels here. I've tried them directly on the hearth (the traditional method) and on sheet pans lined with parchment paper. Never noticed a difference, either, so now we always do them on sheet pans. Besides, who wants to chase bullet hot baseballs around the back of the oven with a peel. FYI, our experience is that 500 F on the hearth or a bit lower is just right. At 500 F, they bake in eighteen minutes flat. We vent the steam halfway through the bake.

Jim
Old 08-30-2009, 05:46 PM
Master Builder

Nikki
Looks great! Are you boiling them before baking...the New York way? If not you gotta try it cause they are sooo much better. We use a little molasses and sugar in the water instead of malt syrup...(to all those NYers out there I apologize) nice to give a bit of a southern twist. Right on with the sheet pans from us too. Any kind of small stuff like that I think it is best to go on pans. The brotchen and bagels we make in the WFO always go on pans as well. Have to make sure it is heavy gauge though. When we were first using our oven we did something on a pan that wasn't so heavy gauged and long story short it can out a bit of a pretzel and never been the same since
Best
Dutch

Last edited by Dutchoven; 08-30-2009 at 05:47 PM. Reason: too much mead
Old 08-30-2009, 09:33 PM
Journeyman

Yes, I made sure to boil before baking. Nice and chewy!

I used malt, but a powdered variety because it's what I could find locally. Do you know if it makes much of a difference as opposed to malt syrup? I'm not talking about carnation malted milk powder, but rather the diastatic malt powder I found at my local Mormon kitchen supplies store (they have all sorts of fun weird stuff).

I'll have to pick up some vital wheat gluten the next time I'm in there. They have the mill grind their own high-gluten flour, and that's what I used. I can't really tell a difference between it and the King Arthur I'd used before. The woman who worked there wasn't able to tell me the protein content on their blend, so it's hard to compare.

The baking sheet I used was already a bit wonky when I sent it in the oven, but it's good to know that I should use a weightier gauge. Thanks for the tip!

Last edited by Modthyrth; 08-30-2009 at 10:00 PM.
Old 08-30-2009, 09:54 PM
Journeyman

wow they look great.. I'll have to try them..
Old 08-31-2009, 12:02 PM
Master Builder

Nikki
I would personally suggest using the syrup if you could get your hands on some. We have gotten some at our local Whole Foods store. The malt powder is a nice dough additive for some formulas. Increases the amount of maltase in the dough early on. does some nice things for both flavor and color.
Nice job on the bagels!
Best
Dutch
Old 09-27-2009, 08:20 AM
Laborer

I just made bagels using Reinhart and my conventional oven. I was very pleased at how easy it really was to make. I used the powdered malt from the beer making store after I figured that would be the best place to get it. (Turns out that source was spelled out in the book but I missed it even though I read it like 5 times). I also used bread flour spiked with vital wheat gluten. The second batch I boiled for 4 min and baked for 15 min.

The results were very good, perhaps excellent, chewy but more tender then I remember, but perhaps that was because of the amazing freshness compared to what I can buy. I found my self wondering how to make them better but enjoyed them so much I'm not sure where to go next.

The attached picture was from the first batch that was not baked as long and had fresh onions on top. The oil I added to the onions messed up the browning a bit I think. The all the rest have been already eaten.

Sadly I'm traveling and oven-less for the next week so I can't try again for a while.
Attached Thumbnails
Bagels?-1sttrybagels.jpg  

Last edited by acbova; 09-27-2009 at 08:38 AM. Reason: Added a Picture