Old 11-28-2008, 12:03 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

Default Re: 32 lbs of bread

Here is part of our contribution to Thanksgiving. I made the Hamelman Soft Butter Rolls recipe from Hamelman, and our 14 year old daughter did the braid, following the Hamelman drawings and our 10 year old took the photos. A really nice family moment. :-)

James
Attached Thumbnails
32 lbs of bread-img_1349.jpg   32 lbs of bread-img_1333.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-28-2008, 07:39 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: 32 lbs of bread

Francis and James.
Thanks for your support, my copy has been ordered and by now I hope it is on it's way.
I was checking out my bookmarks and found "Sourdough Companion", which I think is an Australian site which has some interesting receipes and starter suggestions.
Not sure where I got it from but worthy of a look at:

Sourdough Companion | The Sourdough Bread Community

Neill

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neillís Pompeiii #1

Neillís kitchen underway

Old 11-29-2008, 12:34 PM
Serf

That bread and wine looks really good!!! whens dinner?
Our oven is in the planning stages but looking at that bread makes me want to get it going asap
Old 11-30-2008, 06:59 PM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by james View Post
Here is part of our contribution to Thanksgiving. I made the Hamelman Soft Butter Rolls recipe from Hamelman, and our 14 year old daughter did the braid, following the Hamelman drawings and our 10 year old took the photos. A really nice family moment. :-)

James
Great job!!! To everyone!!!
Those loaves and rolls look great. Very similar to what we were baking for our customers last week. Primary difference is that we made over 600 of those rolls.
Best
Dutch
Old 12-01-2008, 12:45 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I've been wondering Dutch... how many people are "we"?

My last bake day I continually had your cool bread pics in the back of my mind, thinking "oh go on, you can do yet another different kind of bread, too" and of course by the end of the day I was absolutely knackered. That's when the penny sort of dropped and said, 600 rolls? Must be teamwork.

I'm interested. How do you organise a big bake like that?

Old 12-01-2008, 07:44 AM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frances View Post
I've been wondering Dutch... how many people are "we"?

My last bake day I continually had your cool bread pics in the back of my mind, thinking "oh go on, you can do yet another different kind of bread, too" and of course by the end of the day I was absolutely knackered. That's when the penny sort of dropped and said, 600 rolls? Must be teamwork.

I'm interested. How do you organise a big bake like that?
Pathetically there is just two of us...my wife and I. But, we will not doo 600 rolls like that again...at least not without more assistance. We have to learn to say "no" we had some people ask for bread as late as 9PM Tuesday night an somehow we managed to get them in. Baking until after 3AM Wednesday. There is quite a demand here because in Mississippi the public is rather "bread deprived" by having really only supermarket "artisan" bread and bagged breads like Wonder or Sunbeam..."kiddie bread" I think someone here on the forum called it.
Getting a bake like that together is a little bit of insanity really but, we have had a good bit of practice baking for our Farmer's market stand. You really have to map out what types of bread you'll be doing so you can estimate both initial fermentation, rest, proof and bake temperature and time for each bread. That determines where in the "line up" that bread will go. Then it is really just important to not get ahead of yourself when making the doughs initially and making sure you pay attention to them during the whole process by poking them, folding them, etc. It's stressful but fun. I will be easier once we get into our pizzeria/bakery as we will be more in control of many of the variables.
Thanks for the kind thoughts...we are very proud of the fact that you had us in mind when you were baking!!!
Best
Dutch
Old 12-02-2008, 12:48 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchoven View Post
Pathetically there is just two of us...my wife and I.
Ok, now I'm seriously impressed! ...Even more than before.

Gosh, insanity must just about cover it.