Old 11-26-2008, 06:52 AM
Master Builder

Default Re: 32 lbs of bread

Drake
I thought this was the most appropriate place to post photos of our bake yesterday. I will have to do the math and see how much in total weight it was...if I have the energy...it was fun...there was challah with cranberries and walnuts, challah topped with sesame, and plain challah, potato with caraway, potato cheddar and chive, pane italiano, pain d'campagne, and yeast rolls...lots and lots of yeast rolls...oh and one focacccia(not pictured)
Happy Thanksgiving to all those who celebrate and happy day to all those that don't...haha
All the best!
Dutch
Attached Thumbnails
32 lbs of bread-sample-our-holiday-bread.jpg   32 lbs of bread-challah-cranberry-walnut.jpg   32 lbs of bread-plain-sesame-challah.jpg   32 lbs of bread-potato-potato-cheddar-italian-campagne-yeast  
Old 11-26-2008, 06:43 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Beautiful Dutch!

Did you do the Challah in the in the wfo as well? Must have let it cool a lot!

I am planning to fire it up tomorrow for the turkey, sides and rolls. I am planning to let it cool down to about 450 before I put anything in...

Drake
Old 11-27-2008, 05:08 AM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrakeRemoray View Post
Beautiful Dutch!

Did you do the Challah in the in the wfo as well? Must have let it cool a lot!

I am planning to fire it up tomorrow for the turkey, sides and rolls. I am planning to let it cool down to about 450 before I put anything in...

Drake
Drake
Yes we did the challah in the WFO after the country french and italian bread were done. It was in the 375 range on the floor when they went in. It all together almost 120 pounds of bread(about 80 loaves at an average of about 1.5 pounds each). If I add in the yeast rolls(not bread in our opinion but they have their place)it makes it about 200 but they were not baked in the WFO...
We are doing our turkeys and sides and stuff in the WFO today as well...you can probably plan on similar cook times to your indoor oven if you use a similar temperature range. You might want to put the turkey in just a bit sooner(may 15 to 20 min)uncovered to get the business started and then cover it, maybe remove the cover in the last 15 to 20 as well. Are you doing one of Dave's Turkey methods?
Happy Thanksgiving!
Dutch
Old 11-27-2008, 06:35 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Dutch,
Again that is an impressive bake! Did the Challah go in on sheet pans or paper or did you bake it on the hearth? I think this thread is a good one for folks trying to decide which oven to build. Do you plan to bake 100lbs or bread (my back hurts thinking about it) or 32 lbs of bread (ok that makes my back hurt too...).

I am cooking two turkeys (14lbs inside - this is the main bird, and a 10 lb one outside - the experiment...). I am not going to stuff it so I bet it will cook in 2 hours out there...If not, that one can wait a bit. The turkey is always ready ahead of time in my experience....it never takes 3 1/2 hours that the cookbook tells me...

I am not using Dave's cooking method particularly. I will drape the bird in buttered cheese cloth, that is my tried and true method. Truth be told, I just eat the dark meat anyway, so let the breast dry out, but get the dark meat perfect.

Drake
Old 11-27-2008, 10:46 AM
Master Builder

Sheet pans for the challah...with the braids they would have to be bench proofed and we just don't have enough space for all of that...filled the shelves of two different baker's racks for the proofing in the hallway. I have to say...imagine what our oven would bake if I had insulated it better...we have our turkeys in the WFO right now...one 12# one 13# stuffed with fruit and veggies...should be done in about 3 hours...went in about 11AM and the festivities will start about 2PM with hors d'oerves and stuff...roasting asparagus in the oven along with baking the spuds and sweet potatoes too
Best
Dutch

Best
Dutch
Old 11-27-2008, 03:15 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: 32 lbs of bread

Hi Drake,
can you supply the exact title and or the ISBN of your Hammelman's bread book.
It looks like it might help me get over some of theses hurdles that seem to be in my way to confidently prepare and cook these special breads,

Thanks,

Neill

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neillís Pompeiii #1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Neillís kitchen underway

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-28-2008, 12:36 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I'll jump in here - my copy arrived yesterday!

Asside from the contents, its a very beautiful book, very nicely turned out. I'm impressed.

The ISBN is 0-471-16857-2

Old 11-28-2008, 12:50 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: 32 lbs of bread

Thanks Francis,
would you recommend me purchasing it?
I did intended buying it but will confirm an order if you recon it is worth putting on the shelf after reading.

Neill

PS.
I started my sourdough culture today and looking foreward to baking some 'special breads'.

PPS.
Ordered to book and waiting for delivery!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neillís Pompeiii #1

Neillís kitchen underway

Last edited by nissanneill; 11-28-2008 at 02:12 AM.
Old 11-28-2008, 08:55 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

From a first leafing through, I'd say it looks to be the best bread book I've bought so far... I'll only know more once I've had a chance to try a couple of recipes though.

Old 11-28-2008, 11:49 AM
Brick Oven Merchant

Thumbs up on the Hamelman book from me. It changed the way I bake bread and I'm still reading and re-reading sections and learning new things all the time. It is very detailed.

My copy is covered with water stains, little bits of dough, etc. :-)

James