Old 10-10-2007, 11:36 PM
Journeyman

Default Re: White Pizza

Thanks, James.

Yes the Pizza Bianca prepared at the class was long and narrow - a bit like Turkish Bread except thinner. And only the best South Australian olive oil!

I'd also recommend the bakery at the Campo de Fiori - it is unique. I'm still amazed at how the bakers handle those extraordinary long peels, and the pizze were so long, they even required purpose-built racks to cool on. They cook in batches, so it's worth getting there when they're removing them from the oven - very entertaining!

Paul.
Old 10-20-2007, 01:26 PM
Apprentice

I made a very nice white pizza last weekend when family was in town...I actually saw it on the "pizza" episode of Throwdown with Bobby Flay on Food Network. The guy that made it was a bit annoying, but the pizza was good...

- spread about 2-3 tbsp of heavy cream on pizza dough
- spread a bit of fior di latte on the cream
- add some pancetta (cooked or not - you decide)
- then add some thin sliced zucchini or mushrooms

Cook and eat...was very nice. I was surprised by plain cream as the "sauce" but it tasted great.

Also - on the episode of Throwdown (tivo it!), the oven they have the final cook off (with two openings!) was built by Salvatore Olivella..who now has a place in Dallas.

Jay
Old 10-20-2007, 09:46 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Damn, I missed a pizza throwdown??? I watch (or record) that show religiously...love to see Bobby get his @#%^ handed to him. He is a great chef, but I never cared for his arrogance on the original Iron Chef...he was a bit too disrespectful and full of himself in the early years.
Mario Batali - almost brings me to tears when he loses, I've never seen a dish of his that I wouldn't pay dearly for...Arrogant as well, just more of my kind of food.