Old 06-07-2011, 08:47 AM
Serf

Default Re: What to Drink with Pizza

Just curious, why did you select the grape varietals for your home made wine? Valdespena is something of a mystery grape that may be Tempranillo and Petite Cabernet is thought to be just another name for Cabernet Savignon. Because of the heat in our area, I planted heat tolerant varietals Petite Sirah, Carmine and Ruby Cabernet.
Old 06-07-2011, 10:07 AM
Apprentice

We have been using those because it was what our grandparents made back in the day. We have used merlot grape instead of the Cab and we have used other varieties but we always seem to come back to these. It is a nice all around drinking wine that lends itself to food or just by itself on a nice fall day. I like all wines and like to try different store bought bottles but always come back to our home made. These are the grapes that our supplier gets in from California and we like them. Several years it was so good it was scary. That is when you wish you made several hundred gallons.
Old 06-09-2011, 06:09 AM
Apprentice

when I fire the oven up, I have a cider or beer, then when the pizzas are cooked, we dink red wine.
Old 06-09-2011, 06:12 AM
Apprentice

I like the way you drink.....I mean think.
Old 01-20-2012, 05:00 PM
Peasant

I want to add, or suggest that this question equally applies to what are you drinking WHILE making pizza. This is just as important and enjoyable.
Old 08-30-2012, 08:52 PM
Serf

Beer. I like lagers with flavor but that's just a preference. Just about any cold beer will do.
Old 10-26-2013, 03:01 PM
Serf

I agree that wine is the obvious choice. Beer is for tailgate parties and ball games ... if then. Williams Selyem is very nice, but prefer McPhails for Pinot. However I think a great Zinfandel is even better.

I live and grow Zinfandel in the Dry Creek Valley where most of the best Zin is grown. It's also where my WBO is located! IMO the best Zin is (wait for it) Gun Fighter made by a Texan who lives in Healdsburg. It's really clean and not heavy with tannins. Not too expensive either.

Attached is my modified FB oven.

yonosey
Attached Thumbnails
What to Drink with Pizza-img_0481.jpg  
Old 10-28-2013, 05:06 PM
Journeyman

Here in the Northeast, pizza and beer are about as synonymous as burger and fries. Nothing against wine with pie, but I save the Cab for beef and my IPA or a nice California pale ale for my pizza nights. Sierra Nevada makes a great pale, or better yet from Oscar Blues of Colorado try a "Dales Pale". One of my other favorites for pizza, which is readily available across the nation is Blue Moons Belgian White.

The world of food and beverage is at all of our finger tips for exploration and I love to explore. A person doesn't have to spend a fortune and travel the world to experience it either. We are all lucky here in the USA that we can get some of the best flavors of the world just about any where we live, most importantly our pizza napoletana right in our back yards.

When I was in Germany outside of Cologne they didn't have one of my favorite Germany styles of beer a Weissbier, lots of Kolch but no wheat beers. Travel to southern Germany and wheat beer is everywhere and light lager few and far between. They are very proud and territorial when it come to their beer.

So, I guess like toppings for your pie, it's completely what you enjoy. But, please try pizza some night with one of the many different styles of beer from around the world and get a flavor of theirs in your glass. An English Porter, a German Dortmunder, a Belgian Brune or maybe just a Bud light. Yes Budweiser, as everyday a taste as it is, it is a pretty good light lager. Enjoy

Link to my photo album:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Link to my build:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by hodgey1; 10-28-2013 at 05:09 PM. Reason: Format
Old 10-29-2013, 04:12 AM
Journeyman

Cab sav usually South Australian goes best with pizza for me
Lots of berries,not too jammy, slightly minty,a bit of French oak,not too much new American oak.(over the top vanilla flavours),mild tannins,a little dry.
Old 10-29-2013, 04:53 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TropicalCoasting View Post
Cab sav usually South Australian goes best with pizza for me
Lots of berries,not too jammy, slightly minty,a bit of French oak,not too much new American oak.(over the top vanilla flavours),mild tannins,a little dry.
Minty? Really? I have had a lot of wine from South Australia, and never got minty notes from them.....interesting. What labels do you like? That is my favorite wine region by far!

Current WFO build -

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin