Old 12-02-2009, 05:13 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

Default Re: What to Drink with Pizza

We get Cava's at Trade Joe's in California, which can be even better than Prosecco.

I want to hear more about Maurice Vesselle. Can you buy direct?
James

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-02-2009, 05:27 PM
Journeyman

Sounds like you are slightly allergic to Tannins to me. If it is something you enjoy I would try a light un-oaked red like a Beaujolais.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackjack View Post
Yes - over 50 now. I tried to carry on drinking it out of pure snobbery but it really is just headache juice for me.

I find I enjoy beer much more and Peroni and Budvar are pretty cheap at the likes of Macro and CostCo these days in the UK. I usually do a run to Calais for the Prosecco - it costs around 3 per bottle at the Sainsbury near the Eurotunnel.

For the Champagne I go direct to a producer called Maurice Vesselle in the delightfully named village of Bouzy (a Gran Cru since 1885). The savings over brand name stuff are very, very substantial.
Old 12-02-2009, 05:40 PM
Master Builder

There are different causes of red wine headaches. Often, sulfites are blamed. This is rarely the problem, as white wines often have more sulfites than red.

Tannins may be a problem. This is usually the case in people who have migraines. Tannins can release high amounts of serotonin, which may contribute to the headaches. Do you get headaches after other tannic foods, such as black tea? If that's the case, I'd agree with shuboyje. Try a low tannin wine, such as burgundy, dolcetto, or barbera. Be careful, though. While some of these grapes are low tannin, the winemaker may put in young oak, which will add tannins as well.

Other people have redwine headaches because of a histamine release from the wine. I'd try some antihistamines (loratadine/Claritin) before your next glass and see if that helps.

Old 12-02-2009, 07:09 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Or you could try root beer....

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
[/CENTER]
Old 12-03-2009, 05:46 AM
Peasant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archena View Post
Or you could try root beer....

Now you're being ridiculous ;-)

We can get root beer here - Sainsburys have their own brand. I like that it leaves your mouth feeling clean (unlike cola) but I just can't get on with the taste. Tastes of Germoline (a pink antiseptic cream sold in the UK).

I never get a headache with Champagne or Prosecco - unless I've over-indulged.
Old 12-03-2009, 08:38 AM
Brick Oven Merchant

That's funny. The kids drink root beer, but my English wife says its taste like mouthwash.

James

Old 12-03-2009, 12:31 PM
Peasant

Ask her if it tastes like Germoline.

It's not that I don't like it - it just tastes like antiseptic...
Old 12-03-2009, 12:38 PM
Apprentice

My kids, especially the youngest, love root beer. I find it yummy with vanilla ice cream, yes, the so-called float, but otherwise I can't take it.

Interestingly, all my kids developed at some point acute obstructive tonsillitis necessitating surgery. The anesthesia gas flavor choices were bubblegum, cherry, strawberry, and root beer. They all chose to be put asleep with root beer!
Old 12-03-2009, 03:39 PM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Pfeifer View Post
They all chose to be put asleep with root beer!
Beer has put me to sleep many times. Never root beer!

Old 08-04-2010, 09:33 AM
Laborer

Rioja if it's a special pizza (possibly the best value red wine on the planet IMO), any reasonable rose if it's really hot, or the cheapest vin de pays, possibly chilled, just like they do in Naples - works much better than you'd think.....