Old 07-13-2010, 10:41 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: substituting king Arthur for caputo

Fantastic coloring on that crust splatgirl! Proof positive that KA bread flour (at least when made in you sourdough procedure) colors up and cooks just fine at high pizza temps.

I've done your sourdough procedure twice with KA bread flour in 700-800 deg with results as fine as Caputo. I still mix it and do both. I still have half my 50 lb bag of caputo to finish off before it gets old. When the bag is finished, I'll probably only occasionally buy a small bag of Caputo and stick to KA. We'll see...

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Oven Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 12:34 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Great looking pie, S.G.!

I too use KA bread flour most of the time. I have used Sir Lancelot for bread and did not find the extra gluten beneficial in my limited tests - too chewy in my recipes. I never made pizza crust with Sir Lancelot but at 14.2 percent protein vs 12.7 percent for KA bread flour, it would certainly invite some recipe modification if you didn't want super chewy crust.

Bake On!
Jay
Old 07-13-2010, 01:05 PM
Journeyman

Thanks guys. That was my pie of vindication following the tragedy of WFO pizza at that place in D.C. the week before.

I think what was/is nice about Caputo is that it gives a good balance between chewy and tender. Too far on the tender side of things for me, but that part is all in the eye of the beholder..er...eater. And it's also much easier to push Caputo over the edge into tough. From my kitchen, a KA bread flour dough gives a wee bit more chew without being tough, which I like.

Honestly, I think the idea that only certain types of flour work/brown properly in a WFO is mostly a big bunch of nonsense. That piece is 99% about heat management, dough hydration and method, IME. I can and have gotten just as lovely looking a pie from any number of flours including whatever generic stuff I've found on the grocery store shelf in a pinch.
Old 07-14-2010, 04:21 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Jay, Splatgirl
What temp is the fridge that you're parking the dough in? I found that my fridge is running warmer than I'd like and it explains the over proofing that I've seen in my last batch.

Chris

PS I'm pretty sure that the condenser isn't suppose to include a blanket of cat fur and other un-mentionables so I've removed it.

PSS It was at 50 and should be below 40. I'll keep my eyes on it for a while.

Last edited by SCChris; 07-14-2010 at 04:42 PM.
Old 07-14-2010, 04:42 PM
Journeyman

Mine is set at 36F. When we were comparing notes in another thread I think I recall Jay said his is 34F.

SO familiar with the cat fur blanket.
Old 07-14-2010, 07:27 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

My refrigerator is at 35. At that temp my sourdough is really close to inactive. It makes a little progress while cooling and then while warming but it really doesn't do much for a couple of days. At 50 with commercial yeast you should be proofing at barely less than half the normal room temp rate - say 1/3 the rate at 74 degrees. So, if you use full yeast you will get significant proofing overnight.

As a former cat cohabitant (is there such a thing as a cat "owner"?) I am well familiar with hairballs, fur balls, and assorting matts of lint and detritus! which may include everything up to remnants of captured prey. A good warning to all of us with pets to check our coils!

Stay cool!
Jay
Old 07-15-2010, 07:20 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I think the fridge has been warmer than I'd have liked for some time, and since we're just getting our first warm weather here the temp was even warmer. I turned the fridge down to it's coldest setting last night and it's still hovering just above 40. :-(
I'll pull it out again this afternoon and see if I've missed somwthing additional that needs cleaning.

Thanks for the info as to where you have your fridge's set.

Chris
Old 07-15-2010, 08:16 AM
Journeyman

That you are worried about your pizza dough and not your milk clearly shows you have your priorities in order
Old 07-15-2010, 01:22 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Splat,
I was thinking the same thing. I've been unhappy about where my last batches have been relative to over proofing. Obviously I need a seperate fridge and the heck with that other stuff..

C
Old 07-15-2010, 02:37 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Like Splat! I was thinking about your milk figuring you must drink it awfully fast!

40 is still a bit high IMO but is within norms. The scarey part is you don't have much reserve (i.e. you put something warm in and the whole fridge warms...