Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Pizza (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f10/)
-   -   Soggy crust with San Marzano's? (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f10/soggy-crust-san-marzanos-4815.html)

Ken524 08-16-2008 09:42 AM

Soggy crust with San Marzano's?

A few weeks back I pulled out my treasured can of San Marzano tomatoes and followed the Forno Bravo instructions for making sauce. This was my first attempt at using canned San Marzano's.

The sauce was watery/runny and the first pizza had very soggy crust. With each successive pizza I used less and less sauce (there really wasn't that much on the first one).

Was I supposed to strain the can of tomatoes before adding the herbs and using the potato masher?

We had quite a bit of the sauce left over so I put it into a ziplock and froze it. Tonight, we are going to make pizza and I'm thawing out the sauce. Should I strain it?

We've never had soggy crust before (I've been using canned sauces), so we were all a bit surprised by it.

Thanks!

n2iko 08-16-2008 01:37 PM

Re: Soggy crust with San Marzano's?

I generally drain the whole tomatoes through a sieve before crushing. Then I crush by hand.
--mr.jim

james 08-16-2008 03:41 PM

I do as well. I hand pick the tomatoes out of the can, leaving the juice behind. Then I pass them through the mill.

I heard once that when you are using a fresh sauce, you should put it on thin enough to where you can see the dough underneath the sauce.

James

mfiore 08-16-2008 04:38 PM

I also agree. I typically strain canned tomatoes (even fresh if they seem to have a lot of water content)

dmun 08-16-2008 05:19 PM

You could do the yogurt trick: line a strainer with cheesecloth and dump the tomatoes in, oven a bowl in the fridge. They would probably get thicker than you want, but you could re-add the tomato juice to get the right consistency.

Me? I use pasta sauce in jars. Since you only use two big spoonfuls per pizza, it's easier to keep what's left over. A lot of the chunky sauces are really good with fresh flavor.

Ken524 08-16-2008 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmun (Post 39186)
Me? I use pasta sauce in jars. Since you only use two big spoonfuls per pizza, it's easier to keep what's left over. A lot of the chunky sauces are really good with fresh flavor.

That's what we typically do. Convenience!

I ended up putting a coffee filter in a mesh strainer and poured in the sauce. After 30 minutes I had a really nice consistency that made excellent pizza.

Next time, I'll pick out the tomatoes as James mentioned.

FigliodiMariaeGiovanni 08-19-2008 08:34 PM

Yes the San Marzano pomodori can be a bit watery, so the best thing to do is retain the juice in the can and pull the tomatoes out and just crush by hand. I use the juice in a soup mixture.

Roberto

Ken524 08-19-2008 08:42 PM

Thanks Roberto!

FigliodiMariaeGiovanni 08-20-2008 07:03 AM

No problem, but I also want to tell you about a great brand of crushed tomatoes from right here in NJ.

It's Sclafani Crushed, and it makes a great conventional pizza sauce for when I make pizza for the kids with regular shredded mozzarella. I don't like their other tomato products as much but I swear by the crushed.

here's an image:
http://www.ibfoods.com/assets/items/.../sclafani1.jpg

Roberto

ps- I'm looking forward to having a forno a legna soon!

DrakeRemoray 08-20-2008 07:11 AM

I strain whole tomatoes as well...all that strained tomato juice usually ends up in a bloody mary at my house!