Old 08-20-2008, 07:23 AM
Laborer

Talking Re: Soggy crust with San Marzano's?

Drake,

I was going to mention that as well! But since I am new to this forum, I didn't want to make a mala figura!

R
Old 08-20-2008, 09:38 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Soggy crust with San Marzano's?

Thanks for the lead on the tomatoes Roberto. I wonder if they carry those in Kentucky? I'll have to check their website.

OK. Let me make sure I got it:

New Jersey crushed tomatoes - strained.
Bloody Mary while cooking pizza.

GOT IT!
(I learn so much useful stuff here )

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Updated!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 08-20-2008, 11:45 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

My first try with San M's resulted in a wet pie too.

The next time I hand crushed the tomato's and put them in a strainer.
Seems like that's the consensus around here. Glad you worked it ou.

So what did you think about them? Did you like the pizza better with the San M.'s or with regular sauce?

I like both, my wife swears by the San M's, and my kids... they like the canned sauce.

Dave

My costs:

My pics:

Old 08-20-2008, 11:54 AM
Brick Oven Merchant

Quote:
Originally Posted by asudavew View Post

... and my kids... they like the canned sauce.

Dave
Dave,

That makes sense to me. I've said this before -- I think the modern diet trains kids to like the prepared foods (with salt, sugar and preservatives). I think their tastebuds get de-sensitized. :-)

We try to get our daughters accustomed to whole foods, but it can be an uphill battle. Every once in a while we have something that I think tastes really artificial and the kids just love it.

James

Last edited by james; 08-20-2008 at 11:56 AM.
Old 08-20-2008, 11:55 AM
Journeyman

I pour everything into a fine sieve and let it drain for about 10 mins or so. Gets rid of most of the water. Then I put everything else back into to bowl to make sauce. That way, i'm only getting rid of nasty water and not the good stuff.

Old 08-20-2008, 12:10 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

I'm such a mess in the kitchen, sometimes I try to cut back on the number things that need to washed at the end of the evening. If you just pull the tomatoes out by hand and leave the juice behind -- you don't have to clean the sieve. :-)
James

Old 08-20-2008, 12:35 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by james View Post
Dave,

That makes sense to me. I've said this before -- I think the modern diet trains kids to like the prepared foods (with salt, sugar and preservatives). I think their tastebuds get de-sensitized. :-)

We try to get our daughters accustomed to whole foods, but it can be an uphill battle. Every once in a while we have something that I think tastes really artificial and the kids just love it.

James
That makes sense James. Plus when I was a kid, I was never a big fan of tomatos.... but tomato based sauces were great!

My costs:

My pics:

Old 08-20-2008, 01:47 PM
Laborer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken524 View Post
Thanks for the lead on the tomatoes Roberto. I wonder if they carry those in Kentucky? I'll have to check their website.

OK. Let me make sure I got it:

New Jersey crushed tomatoes - strained.
Bloody Mary while cooking pizza.

GOT IT!
(I learn so much useful stuff here )
No need to strain the Sclafani Crushed,
and yes alcohol always helps when cooking!
Old 08-20-2008, 05:43 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by asudavew View Post

So what did you think about them? Did you like the pizza better with the San M.'s or with regular sauce?
I did like the San M sauce. The older kids liked the pizza as well. Our finicky 11 year old daughter thought it was one of our better pizzas so it must have been pretty good!

I'm going to look around in some of the specialty stores and markets in town and try some other types of canned tomatoes as well.

Updated!

Old 08-20-2008, 07:42 PM
Apprentice

I find San M's to be the best flavor! I opened the top of the can by making two, three inch openings opposite each other with a hand crank can opener. then I poured out some of the water into a bowl while gently tipping the can back and forth. Then I opened the top the rest of the way and mashed them with a potato masher. I got enough for 5 pizzas out of the can. YUMMY!! I personally like a smoother tomato, but the small chunks were very tasty!