Old 01-29-2010, 03:22 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Silky, Stretchable Dough - How??????

Hi Scott. If you try the rolling pin trick, don't roll off the edge of the dough. You roll the edges to the side, but not in front of or behind the rolling pin. If you roll off the far or close edge you will pinch the dough and it won't rise properly (It will be WAY thin). This can give really nice, uniform crust with no big bubbles in the central area.

I don't mine a few odd bubbles either.

I find slapping the dough from hand to hand does a good job of knocking the excess flour off (I use a lot of flour when forming the initial "disk" of dough), and does an amazingly good job of creating a uniform thin crust. Not as exciting as tossing but far less risky. I probably need to do a video to show what I mean!

BTW, I do sometimes use a docker when making flatbread. My decision depends on how thick the dough is with thicker doughs getting docked to prevent balloooning into a pita.

Good Luck!
Jay
Old 01-29-2010, 04:53 PM
Apprentice

Hi Jay,
A video would be great. When can you get started on this project? Just kidding...kinda.

Tom
Old 01-29-2010, 05:37 PM
Apprentice

Thanks Jay,

The only reason I have been using a rolling pin is because I am still learning the art of stretching the dough....and when you have people waiting you just rolling them out! As soon as i get my dough perfected I will be stretching everyone!!!! I find to get a really nice crust that rises, I leave a gap of about 10 cms around the edge of the dough when I put on the base sauce. My little girl wants me to do cheese stuffed crust next for her so that should be intresting how it turns out!
Old 01-29-2010, 07:13 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Yes Creatures is a great place and they make a good pizza too!! After Ruoccos and Siennas in Mt Lawley, they make the next best pizza in Perth. Like you I wanted to find out more about there process so got there early one day and saw a guy actually preparing the dough so had a chat to him. They have a dough proofing machine under the counter and use baker's flour (12%) something like the Defiance brand (don't waste your time with Molino Pizuti 00 - it's for making pasta). The recipe seemed to be the straightforward flour, water, years and salt mix. I didn't see the spiker in action but have seen it used elsewhere. They go very light on their toppings which I quite like too.

Rossco
Old 01-29-2010, 08:11 PM

Quote:
They used no rolling pin and were stretching the dough by hand,
Rolling pins are for pitas and piecrusts.
Quote:
They then tossed the dough (something I think you dont really need to do but does make people go "WOW!!")
That pretty much means they are using high protein flour and low hydration. Not that there's anything wrong with that per se: That's the dough that made Brooklyn famous.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-29-2010, 08:55 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmun View Post
Rolling pins are for pitas and piecrusts.
Yes indeed - I was at pizza place in town recently (Woodpeckers) and they shoved the dough into a machine which "rolled" it for pizza use. I am sure that that is pretty much the same as attacking it with a rolling pin.

I am ashamed to admit it but I too used to employ the services of a rolling pin for pizza preparation. I had to fight the dough and wrestle it into shape. That was until I did some reading and was guided some of the good folk here and let the dough rest before working it. That made all the difference and there was no turning back from that point. Nice workable dough without the need for a rolling pin...

Rossco
Old 01-29-2010, 09:10 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by heliman View Post
Nice workable dough without the need for a rolling pin...

Rossco
And thats what I hope to get next time I do pizzas...
Old 01-29-2010, 10:29 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Great - you're nearly there...

I look forward to seeing the pics!!

Rossco
Old 01-30-2010, 07:53 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hey guys! Let's not demean using a rolling pin. Many people struggle with the dough and find it useful as they strive to make reasonable shapes. Some (personal experience included) have gotten so frustrated they tried rollingpins on wet doughs and created a dough encrusted rolling pin. (Not quite but I couldn't pass up the visual image!)

I don't do video but I will do a series of photos to try to document what I do. I think I can get the ideas across.

Bake On!
Jay
Old 01-30-2010, 04:42 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I don't believe that it is "demeaning" to suggest that the rolling pin is not the best tool for the job when it comes to stretching dough. The FB handbook and numerous other resources claim that it compacts the dough and has a negative impact on the finished product. I included a little bit of "tounge-in-cheek" referencing to highlight my (and probably others too) frustration in dealing with uncooperative dough. My point was simply to say that there are better and easier ways to stretch dough than using a rolling pin.

That being said, I have no doubt that the rolling pin has numerous and indeed noble applications (like a welcoming implement for use by your wife when returning late from the pub).

Rossco